Wednesday, June 2, 2010

catching up

Can every weekend be 4 days long?  Who can I talk to about that?  We had a full weekend, new activities, old friends, and random outings.  All accompanied by great weather.

I had off on Friday, so I took gobbles meet his newest little buddy.  As I carried him up the walk to the house, we could hear the familiar sounds of the little lamb swing.  Ours has sadly been retired for almost 2 months now, but Gobbles lit up in recognition when he heard the music playing inside the house.  Buddy's momma greeted us at the door, and we swapped babies.  Though Lil Buddy is weighing in at a solid 8 lbs, he felt weightless after lugging around an almost 20 lb child!  It's amazing just how much happens in the first 6 months of life, and I felt a tinge of jealousy that the early development is still ahead for this momma.  It did fade, however, after she reminded me of getting up every few hours to feed.

We chatted for awhile and Lil Buddy slept on my chest.  Meanwhile gobbles enjoyed looking around the new environment, leaving a few sprays of regurgitated sweet potatoes and milk on the rug.  Twice.  (sorry again Momma!)  It's funny how this particular lady and I have gone through major milestones together.   First as college roommates, we met our would be husbands around the same time.  We now joke about how we had an unspoken competition of whose boy would stay longer to hang out after jeopardy was over.  Now of course it's not a competition, as we both won the prizes we were seeking.  Now it's just fun, first getting married around the same time, then being pregnant together, and now new mommies.  It's nice to trade stories, advice, and just hang out.  It also helps that her little man is just so damn adorable!

When Lil Buddy woke up we got a nice shot of the boys together, I'm sure the first of many occasions when they'll be forced to smile for the camera for us.
Now buddy, they seem to do this flashy thing a lot.  Just look in their direction
and we can finish our conversation when they're out of our faces!

The next day, friends of ours had a barbecue, and there were kids of all ages there. running here there and everywhere.  Is this what we have to look forward to?  I was a little overwhelmed talking to a mom of a two year old with her 2nd on the way. I know in theory that's how far apart I want to space them, but wow it seems like a lot of work, don't know how I'd ever handle it!  Regardless, it was nice to get out and socialize. But it was different than normal, in that hubs and i didn't even have to argue over who was drinking, who was driving... I think between the both of us we had maybe 3 beers... not because we couldn't drink, but we were so busy changing diapers, feeding gobbles, or soothing him that it just wasn't feasible to booze as well.  Do I sound like an alcoholic??

The next day we took gobbles on his first trip to the dog park.  Once in awhile we like to take Cannoli and Spoons there to tire them out and get a little socialization in.  Gobbles had a ball watching all the puppies run around... I love how he is just fascinated by them!  He also had fun hanging out with Daddy in the baby bjorn.

I shall call him... mini-me!

The dogs' friend Sophia was also there to hang out with them, and old pal they haven't seen since before that thing took over their lives and couches. After we were all sufficiently worn out, we made it back home and called it an early night.  Nothing can help you sleep better than chasing two mutts around 5 acres of open field and through a muddy creek for an hour.

The next day we ran some errands early, including a trip to Walmart to buy a 6 person tent for an upcoming camping trip.  Because a) the addition of a 20 lb kid requires an upgrade from a 2 person to a 6 person tent and b) having a baby is no excuse to say no to camping, especially when there will be one 3 months his junior in attendance!

We unwound that afternoon with dinner on the grill and a few beers.  I got a call from a friend around the corner that evening that they were sitting out back relaxing.  With a slight buzz already going, we decided what the heck and loaded up the stroller with the kid, diaper bag, and a little cooler and went for a walk.  After hanging out for an hour or two, we came home, sufficiently happy to contradict my theory from four paragraphs ago that we're too old or busy to enjoy a few.  It just will not necessarily be when planned.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know how you manage to take care of Gobbles and those dogs, but I'm sure you would find a way if you had another kid- you're good at being a momma!

    LOVE the picture of those two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that Lil Buddy's a cutie too. And can I just say that Lil Buddy may be the cutest nickname ever?

    And good for you guys for getting out and about and being social! I'm totally jealous of the neighbor friends. I suppose I actually have to talk to my neighbors in order to facilitate friendships? Hmmm...maybe someday.

    Flashy thing! hhaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just hope Lil Buddy's mom doesn't mind me sticking that pic up there, he's too cute to resist.

    oh and i totally cheated by saying "neighbor" friends. a good friend's sister moved in around the corner so whenever she's over there she texts me to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we all need to move into a cul-de-sac?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete