Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Settling down

Stressed?  Chew on this.  I've got two if you want one...

Here we go.  24 hours from now I'll be handing in my computer and turning over my platinum Amex (wahhhh).  I wish I could set fire to my rollerboard but my work will not actually be complete when I turn in my badge.  I'll have one last task to complete, testimony (in Houston) for a client's case in which I'm considered an "expert witness". Blech to that, I tried to get out of it, not wanting to travel anymore - or take two days off from my new job - but, the sweet allure of two weeks' worth of pay for two days of my time did me in.  That and the threat of having to deal with being sued as a hostile witness if I didn't comply.  Jeez people, I'll take the cash!

Anyway, enough about work, at least this job.  After three years, one hundred and fifty thousand air miles, two hundred hotel nights, countless cities in three countries, and what feels like thousands of hours sitting in an airport with a glass of wine waiting on plane delays, this is it.  Time to move on.  I can't wait to work with people in the same timezone as me - more so in the same building! 

By pure coincidence, Gobbles had his last day yesterday at the daycare where he spent the last three months.  The waiting list for our first choice daycare finally opened up for him to start tomorrow.  Of course, now that we've left daycare 1, I feel like we made the wrong decision.  I cried as a lifted him into the car last evening.  He loved his teachers, and they loved him.  Is he going to wonder why he isn't seeing these ladies anymore?  They had signs and notes wishing him farewell, telling to him behave for his Grandmom.  Yes, I lied to the daycare,  I didn't want to tell them he was leaving for another daycare because they were such nice people, so kind and caring to my child.  That could be another reason I feel so crappy about this.

Then why leave, you ask?  Now I'm not really sure.  When we toured the daycares back in the fall, the shiny newness and developmental programs of the first choice place wowed us.  So in our heads, we committed.  Also, first choice place has an exceptional preschool program that is near impossible to get into unless you start out as an infant.  But the second place was like family.  They knew his individual cries, faces, and nuances.  I hope the feeling in the pit of my stomach is just the fear of change and that Gobbles is none the wiser. 

Like I mentioned above, 24 hours and this stress will be quelled.  Work will be done, and he'll have survived his first day of daycare.  Nothing to worry about... right? 
Pllhhhpppt.  I'll be FINE.  Sheesh!  Now go blog about camping - that's what people really want to read about!

2 comments:

  1. Ohmagoodness that foot in the mouth pic is awesome- congrats on all the changes, mama! Excited to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the changes! I am in the same boat as you... I have been traveling for work for the past 5 years, and I am not sure how long I can keep that up. Although I shall miss the glass of wine in the airport bar with a good book... I am surprised we never ran into each other!

    ReplyDelete