Half time goes by
Suddenly you're wise
Another blink of an eye
Sixty-seven is gone
- Five for Fighting
Dear Mr. Gobbles,
Wow. You are six months old today. One half of a year. You are so ingrained into our lives that our routine and planning habits have become like you were always here. Yet, at the same time we are still making new discoveries with you every day. You have grown so much in such a short time - ten pounds in six months! Please don't make this a habit... You're already giving mommy a workout lifting up and carrying around all 19 lbs, 4 oz of you. And I don't want you to outgrow your jumper just yet - you could bounce around for hours if I let you.
You've been sitting up all by yourself for a few weeks now, and lately have started to scoot your bottom and tip yourself forward until you're on the verge of a crawl. Little boy, please take your time. You are welcome to sit by Mommy's side just as long as you want. You have years to move around, why not stay put for a little while longer? Some of this is just moving too fast for mommy. Only 35 more of these "six month segments" until you're 18 and on your way to college. If they all go as fast as this one did, I'm going to have to find a way to get us to that LOST island so we stop aging.
You are going to start saying real words soon, but I already know what you mean with your babbles. When you want the dogs to come near, you shriek with delight and smack your knees. When you are hungry you bury your head on my shoulder. When you want to be entertained you look up at me with a half-smile and start blowing bubbles. When you are sleepy you cry the loudest, fighting to stay awake and play just a little longer. And when you want to say "I love you", you grab my hair, neck, or cheeks and pull my face to yours and drool on my cheek.
The other day, when I was blowing raspberries on your tummy, you sneezed in my eye. I mean full out baby snot coating my eyeball. It was gross, but you found it hysterical. You let out the biggest belly laugh and told me you loved me (in the way I described above). As vision cleared I started laughing too, only causing you to laugh harder. I love these little moments between us, our Gobbles and Mommy jokes, when we just laugh together, not even really knowing why.
I watch you have these moments with your Daddy too, and it fills me with happiness. You two have a bond that makes me proud to call you my family. When he gets home and gives you the giant "kissy sound" kiss on your cheek, you giggle with delight. These summer nights while we grill in the backyard, he'll take you off my lap and walk you around the yard, showing you all the trees. You return with fistfuls of leaves that you picked, just for me. If I were more organized in my sentimentality they'd be sitting in a scrapbook somewhere. Instead, they usually find their way to the ground as you return to my lap to watch the puppies chase each other and bark, which is your favorite form of entertainment. Besides, of course, a quick round of our This is the way the ladies ride / Patty cake combo.
Well, little man, we're going to be experiencing a lot of firsts in the upcoming months. The beach, camping, crawling, teeth, weddings, maybe even walking or talking. Mommy and Daddy love you very much and can't wait to experience all of it with you. I take that back, we can wait. We can push pause right now and be content for quite awhile. But, since you must continue to grow, please know that we'll be there with you through every step, stumble, and sleepless night.
I love you so much little boy.
ps. And if we're not in the mood for the mushy stuff... on with the photo montage!
Wake up, it's 6 months Gobblesday!!
Welcome to my crib, come here often?
My pal Scout has a crush on my shirt
Mommy, really, are all these pictures necessary? I look the same in every one of them!
Oh, wait, who's there? Oh hi Daddy!
Yea, just doing an early morning photo shoot for my 6 months... oh yes I agree mommy is a bit "cuckooo"
Ok now there's a blanket. Would you like to do this with all the animals in my crib too? Sheesh!
Oh, are we doing superman, yes we can do this all day! Would you believe my Daddy thinks I have brown eyes??
. Ahhh, back downstairs with Sophie. That's more like it. Now put that camera away!!










Happy Six Months little Butterbean!
ReplyDeleteawwwwwwwwwww seriously so cute. every word. and pic. Can i invite myself back over to your house so I can visit him again?
ReplyDelete35 more six month segments?!
ReplyDeletewhen you put it like that it seems WAY too fast...