Friday, April 27, 2012

View from the floor in a toddler's tiny room on a random Wednesday night

I don't know why potential buyers hate this room so much.  Sure, it's small, but there's enough room for an adult to lay comfortably on the floor next to the bed while waiting for a restless child to drift off to sleep.  

I hear him tossing and turning on the Toy Story sheets and wonder what he's thinking.  What goes through his mind as he's trying to fall asleep?  The stress of school the next day?  The worry that Mommy's yelling "Go to SLEEP" would echo in his dreams?

I remove my glasses and study the room as it looks through nearsighted eyes, although mine aren't as bad as his I can get the idea.  Maybe the shadows cast on the ceiling from the nightlight and the fan wig him out. Maybe the Disney pictures, blurred from the darkness but still lined up neat as pins contribute to his OCD.   The stuffed moose perched atop his giant blue piggy bank unknowingly shows up like devil horns on the wall behind.

The shuffling above me stops and I see a tiny head peeking out of the covers and over the side of the bed.  Guilty, I stop typing and whisper "go to sleep buddy" and hypocritically return to my phone.  Just 14 hours ago  I woke up from this very bed, having come in to relieve a 5am night terror and was just too tired to get up and leave. Am I encouraging bad habits?  This will end someday, and beyond that I will yearn for times like these, when my son sleeps just feet away and is only comforted by the presence of mommy... He tosses over again and I put the phone down for another moment.

The collection of hats hanging on monkey hooks catch my eye.  Gobbles hates hats, but has somehow acquired quite an array, from fire hats to cowboy, sno-bum to beach bum. I wonder if we ever do sell this house, will he remember this room?  Or will his "memories" be driven by the videos of himself he watches over and over again on my phone?

The house is calm after the battle of bedtime, from the screaming and the tears once again gobbles has emerged the victor, hence the reason I am on this floor. I gaze up at the mishmash of toys that hubs and I supplied from our own collections to line the shelves when we decorated this "nursery" almost 3 years ago and feel like it was just yesterday. It reminds me yet again that though the terrible twos are afoot, they will be gone in a blink of an eye. Gobbles buds, I love you little boy- mommy will always be here to comfort you to sleep when you need her. 

Mommy wishes for me to sleep and not fight her on naps and bedtime!
But I have more important things in mind
I wish for trucks.  Fire engines and dump trucks and backhoes and a CAR.TRANS.POR.TER!

No comments:

Post a Comment