Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sweet Relief

I think I'm finally on my way.  I've slept through the night three times this week (not including the 4am feeding for lil lobster roll), but after the feeding?  I was able to fall back asleep.  It was glorious, I haven't fallen back asleep after waking up around 3-4 am since October.  October, when things got drastically shuffled around at work and I ended up reporting to the biggest (literally and figuratively) scumbag in the world.  The first time he screamed at me I went into the bathroom and cried.   Same with the second, and the third.  When he changed my schedule that I had been working for 18 months just to be a jerk, I took it in stride and told myself just 12 more weeks, 11 more weeks, 10 more weeks until leave.

The first time I talked to HR was November first.  I was very even-keeled about this discussion and talked about the jerk's inability to effectively communicate what he wants, changing his mind on a whim after days of effort had been put into a project, and cutting deals with my vendors that undermined my authority.  I brought up that his approach and demeanor to any request he would make of me was unprofessional and rude, and given his history for throwing people under the bus and getting them fired (my predecessor was still involved in a lawsuit for wrongful termination), I had become fearful of making my own decisions or doing what is right because I was afraid he would fire me.  HR noted the email I sent and stuck their head back in the sand.

Two weeks later, I forwarded them an email where he threw around terms like "please apply yourself" to correct problems that he caused, but pinning them on me and trying to indicate to our higher ups (who were copied on the emails) that it was me screwing everything up.

The week before Christmas was a week from hell.  I documented three straight days of harassment, including a verbal tirade that got so loud and heated that was overheard by a woman who works for our client.  She was so concerned for me and my physical well being that she walked me out of the building that evening.  Next day included the scum referring to maternity leave as vacation and disciplining me for refusing to climb a ladder onto the roof (I was 35 weeks pregnant at this point).  On the third day he was actually waiting for me at my cube to scream at me some more, over ridiculous things like teaming up with other departments to resource their experts (example - I'm not a mechanic, and there was a mechanical problem with the fans a contractor installed.  I asked the mechanics to be with us when we looked at the fan so they can agree / disagree with the diagnosis).  Basically the man screamed at me for trying to look into problems, things he most likely was behind and wanted covered up.  This last one occurred less than 4 feet from HR and the scum's boss, yet everyone is so used to his asshole demeanor that they didn't notice at all. 

After Christmas week HR finally told the scum that he wasn't allowed to speak to me unless his boss was present.  To me this was too little too late.  Especially because in my remaining weeks there, the scum turned his wrath on the poor young new hire who was hired to help out while I was gone.  I resolved to myself that I had too much self respect to ever work for this scum again.

The icing on the cake was that when I come back from leave I will likely have to work the ridiculous schedule the scum proposed - 3 pm to midnight 5 days a week.   These people have no clue.   I am a professional, and I don't have to stand for it.  They were FLOORED when I called them yesterday to tell them I won't be coming back.  Who in their right mind would think a mother of two would re-enter an environment like that?  And yes, I waited until less than a week before my return date to tell them.  I had to make sure all my disability and vacation pay had been taken care of.  (don't get me started on how screwed up the disability was for awhile!).  I figured it was the least I could do after what they put me through.  Hubs wanted me to wait until the day I was supposed to report and not show up.  I just wanted to sever my ties as soon as possible.

24 hours before that awkward phone call was placed yesterday is when I got it.  My sweet relief.  I got the offer letter that I trust will change my life.  Or at least my stress level.  Six weeks ago I contacted my old boss from my job prior ('07-'10) and asked about some connections he had to a small consulting firm in the area.  I had loved what I was doing at my old job but the travel didn't make it feasible.  This small firm does the same kind of work, and some travelling, but they don't move you out to a jobsite like my prior company.  He connected me to the owner of the firm and we proceeded to have meetings, phone calls, and negotiations that resulted in this: 

I am now a proud part-time working momma!

Things could not have gone any more perfectly.  There will be some travel involved, but 3-4 days a month, tops.  (and is it bad to say a little part of me is looking forward to those "nights off" even though I love and will miss my babies desperately?).  My base work will be Mon-Thurs 8 hours a day, with occasional need for extra hours... BUT, the majority of the work can be done at home.  So, sick kid?  No prob!  Trip to the shore?  No prob!  Activity at the kids' daycare?  No prob - I can do the work in the evening at home!  A year ago if someone had asked what my ideal job would be, this is it.  I'll be using my brain again doing forensic engineering and project management consulting, and maybe a few stints with expert testimony.  It is worth every penny of the paycut needed to accommodate a shortened work week, because no money is worth what I went through the last 6 months. 

I'm starting to regain faith that God really does have a plan... if our house had sold and we had splurged on the new one, we may not have been able to afford me taking this job.  But now we can take a second look at our budget and iron down exactly what we can get... So now, maybe showing number 60 (*cringe!*) will bring us some luck. 

In the meantime, I'm just so happy to have more chances to have radom moments like this:
The best part of helping Mommy in the kitchen!!
Or This:

2 comments: