Wednesday, April 27, 2011

It's happening....

Remember just a few posts ago, when I talked about my life being on hold, pending the results of some testing for Gobbles?  I let myself get all stressed out that I just cannot wait until July to find out the fate of my boy and how all I needed was for time to pass quickly...

Well it did.

Ok not really but instead we got a call a week or so ago from the genetics at the hospital that they'd had a cancellation, and if we could make it then we can go Thursday at 10:30.  Meaning tomorrow.  Despite the sick dog and sick us and completely stressful work week, we of course took it.  Because we need answers.  And if I could have one less thing to stress about and tap my foot impatiently too then I can rest easy.  Or use the spare energy to find a new job or renovate the house or something.

The appointment's been scheduled and I've had the consultation call with the genetic counselor, which included 45 minutes of interrogation about everything from my pregnancy with Gobbles -When did you first feel him move? Fifteen or sixteen weeks, just as the plane touched down in Seattle!!;  to detailed family eye history - Did your husband's grandfather, who died almost 40 years ago, wear glasses as a child? or What are the eyeglass prescriptions of your 28 first cousins?  ummm, not 100% sure; to the unusual - Is there anyone abnormally tall or abnormally short on either side of either family? define abnormal???

Now that everything is in place I'm starting to get nervous... what if we don't get the results we're looking for?  At least if we'd waited until July we'd always have hope ahead?  I have remind myself that waiting is just not me, and ignorance does not equal bliss, it equals fear.  There's no going back.  My son's future lays in what we find tomorrow.  There will be more questions, a head to toe evaluation, possibly some bloodwork, probably an echocardiogram.  He'll get angry, annoyed, cry, and rip his glasses off in frustration.  I'll gently hug him, kiss him, replace his eyes, as he refers to them, and remind him that no matter what the outcome, Mommy and Daddy will always love him and be there for him, no matter what.

Listen Momma, we can do this when it's warm and sunny...

one step at a time....

slowly and cautiously...
Or when it's dark and chilly - it doesn't really matter
because either way, i'll end up in the same spot...

with a maybe a brushburn or two, but definitely a smile on my face!

2 comments: