I started this post over a week ago. When Gobbles was napping. But he got up early and we had a booming social life to get to (more on that later)... so I'll finish this now!
Yesterday was a normal Friday.
Normal in the sense that it's exactly what I expected my Fridays to be like wayyyy back in August when I rearranged my work schedule to have off on Fridays. They were to be mommy and Gobbles day. Then life happened, and I started using those Fridays off for doctors appointments, vet visits, house cleanings, recovering from colds, etc.... rinse, repeat. repeat. repeat.
In fact, we had another appointment yesterday, but that has also become quite normal for us. Since the year began, our little family has had over 28 doctor visits, be it a checkup, an emergency, dentist, veterinarian, eye doctor, etc... I know because I just had to do a tally for a healthcare spending account... But, I digress.
Yesterday's visit was with an Audiology specialist, which I am proud to say Gobbles passed with flying colors. It was a relief since the appointment a week prior with the Geneticist left us with no answers. The geneticist basically did a physical examination and bloodwork, which could be 4-6 weeks or 12-18 weeks for full results depending on which chromosome, if any, holds the Sticklers mutation. As far as the Sticklers goes, we had a lengthy discussion with the doctor as to what happens if he does have it, how family planning will work for us and my sisters (they are currently assuming the genetic issue stems from my side), and what his future would be like. They basically told us that this will give us the awareness and preparedness to expect it could happen again, and that prenatal counseling is advised should we get pregnant. I'm still leaning on the thought that Gobbles' bad eyesight is just that. Bad eyesight. But we'll see. And pray.
In the meantime they had us set up precautionary visits with Audiology and Cardiology, to check on other areas affected by sticklers, the ears and the heart. As I mentioned above, Gobbles' hearing is just fine. His cardiology appointment has been set for a few weeks from now. We also got a call to schedule his clogged tear duct surgery, since the optometrist got the geneticists go-ahead. Funny thing is, we'd completely forgotten about that since the whole myopia thing started. We haven't even noticed any clogs of late. So, we're going to play it out for a little longer than hopefully cancel the surgery. After the past few months I don't want my little boy poked and prodded (um or put under
anesthesia!) if it's not absolutely necessary.
So, that brings us up to speed medically. Emotionally, yesterday was a whole different ball game. Since the day was too beautiful to pass up, hubs was working late, and Gobbles did so well at his appointment, we decided to finally have one of our true Mommy / Gobbles day.
First, it was time for me to run a quick errand with Gobbles in tow. I had glasses waiting to be picked up at the nearby Pearl, so we went straight from his doctor's appointment to the mall. As we drove I chatted with Gobbles about how nice it was to spend the day with him, and he babbled and pointed out all of the buses, trucks, and cars. We were surprised upon arriving at the mall that only the anchor stores were open, the rest not until 10:30. What? That's like lunchtime for us working folk! Gobbles passed the time by running around the mall with the old lady walkers. He charmed them by showing how he can climb in and out of the stroller and push it by himself.
 |
| wow this place is BIG when no one's here! |
|
Back in, don't feel like walkin! |
 |
| And just like that, we're off again!! |
Finally we got what we needed (not after Gobbles finagled a lollipop from the optician. Ummmm, I don't think he'd even know how to eat one of those if I left him!) and headed home. After lunch, a nap, and a romp in the backyard with the puppies, we decided to go to the playground just a short drive away. There is a playground up the street, but it doesn't have nearly as much cool stuff as the
Freedom Playground!
Gobbles ran. He walked. Climbed. Slid. Bounced. Spun. Tunneled. And smiled every step of the way. It was the greatest hour both of us have had in months, I was so happy to experience it with him. He insisted on climbing all of the steps to the equipment without me, just by stepping and using the handrail. He grinned and ran away when I pointed him to something he didn't want to do. He danced to the kids playing the giant chimes, and sashayed back and forth on the swinging bridge.
 |
| they'd be the first to sue the playground if the kid broke an arm... |
The mom said her phone goodbyes and began walking
away from her kid, and pretty soon was deep in conversation with someone else while her child, crestfallen, looked on. I noticed this type of behavior from a lot of the people there. Maybe they take for granted the times they get to spend with their children because they're privileged enough to be with them all the time. Or maybe they're just extremely lazy. Whatever the case I swore to myself that Gobbles would never have to beg for my attention. I cherish the few hours every day I actually get to spend with him. I'm the only mother he'll ever have, and he'll always be my baby. I'll let him hang out with me for as long as he wants because lord knows, there will be a time when he's over it. I wish
every day was Mommy and Gobbles day! Life is grand when... well, life... doesn't get in the way!
 |
| Cutest mallrat ever |
 |
| I could spend all day spinning this wheel that matches my shirt! Out and about in the sunshine with my Mommy! |
He's sooooo cute!
ReplyDeleteLOVE. I've been feeling this way with Maks and Mommy time recently too...might be doing something about it! Say a little prayer.
ReplyDelete