Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Two and a half... Going on 14...

Dear Little Lobster Roll,

Just like that, we're halfway done the terrible twos... (or more likely just 6 months away from the oh so trying threes).  Honestly though, your twos have not been too terrible.  You are the sassiest little girl I've ever met, but I know that is just the foundation for you to become a strong, confident woman some day.  You are so intelligent, sarcastically witty, and incredibly affectionate, and I am so very proud of you.

Now that you have finally moved up into your new classroom, you are thriving at school.  As one of your teachers pointed out, although you are the youngest, you are the most independent kid in the class.  You are one of only two kids who is potty trained, which happened as we knew it would, within days of you moving up a month ago.  I've been told you and your gal pal V have a morning ritual - you take your first potty break together in the morning, then show each other the underpants you chose for the day.  I don't know how you plan it, but you end up wearing the same Sophia pair some days, or one of you will wear a princess or pony one while the other one states hers is at home in the laundry.  Your teacher cracks up at this and it made me laugh as well.  As happy as I am that I know longer have to worry about the potty at school, I will miss the stories I'd hear from teachers that would take you one on one.  Like the night you came home and told us about the crap on the wall and it took us about 15 minutes and help from Gobbles to realize you were saying crab, which adorns the downstairs potty at school.  Or the many times the teachers mused at your chatter about your potty habits, telling them that's a man poop!

Your favorite movie and favorite Disney princesses change more often than your wardrobe.  On the way home from school, Anna from Frozen dominates (when it's Frozen with you, it's never Elsa.  She's just too dark and serious for you).  You request we roll the windows down on the way home so the wind whips your hair around just like many scenes from the movie.  You scream I'm Anna! and only respond to that name as we drive up the pike.

A few weeks ago, you went through two princesses in just twelve hours.  After school you had been telling me about being Ariel with your friends and refusing to leave character or disassociate your friend from the villain I don't like G's voice.  She's the sea witch.  She stole my voice.  E was prince Eric and he tried to save me from Ursula.  G is not my friend because she is Ursula.  I responded to this by reminding you that you're not really Ariel, because she is a mermaid with a tail and you have feet.  Your response was deadpan I have no feet.  The next morning, Daddy was getting you ready for school and he said Let's go, Cinderella, wouldn't want to be late for the ball.  You came running from your room in tears, Mommy, Daddy called me Cinderella!  When I asked what was wrong you replied, I'm BELLE!  Most recently, you've been taking on the role of the Pirate Princess because you and your brother watch and play Jake and the Neverland Pirates every chance you get.  You again get yourself quite into character by fighting Captain Hook (a tree, a ball, a hula hoop, whatever you pretend is him at the time) and calling your brother Jake.  Lobster, I hope that you will always embrace this wonderful imagination you have, because with your creativity you are free to be whatever princess you want.

Adding to your big girl milestones this month we transitioned your bed from crib to daybed.  You've done beautifully so far staying in your bed after just one nap delay.  Oh, and there was that night where I found you screaming for help, mysteriously having wedged yourself facedown underneath the bed.  I'm not sure if it's the beginnings of sleepwalking or you just fell out and shimmied your way under there too tired to climb back up, but knock on wood we've been a week without another incident.

We had your two and a half year checkup last week and I didn't even have to answer any milestone questions, since, well, you didn't walk but sashayed your way over to the scale when your name was called, complete with hands on hips and exuding the confidence of a queen bee cheerleader.  Then the doctor witnessed you "reading" a book to yourself while you waited in the exam room.  And the bear talked to his mommy, but he had no pants on, he was in the snow and he was cold - Mommy does he have shoes on? - and then he got pants so he wasn't cold.  I have no idea what the actual story was about, but based on the pictures you were able to concoct your own little plot.  You weighed in at 27 lbs and measured 35" tall, 30th percentile my little peanut!

Speaking of reading, you're starting to show off your memorization of certain books, much like your brother at this age.  It's harder to notice with you because we read bedtime stories together so much and he barely gives you a chance to speak up, but on nights we separate and I read to you alone, you proclaim most of the sentences from memory.  Your preferred books are Pinkalicious, Frozen, and the Monster's Inc short from the Snuggle Stories you and your brother love so much.

And finally my honey bear, you are so girly I barely know what to do with you.  I've mentioned before how I'm not so good at the girly stuff, so I really don't know where you came from.  You never fail to fight me when I pull out a pair of shorts from your drawer I want a DRESS!  You always to run to Daddy after I brush your hair Daddy look at my pretty two ponytails!  In fact, just this morning you demanded I style your hair so that it goes to the floor just like Daisy's ponytail in a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episode.  When it wasn't what you pictured in your head you begged me to redo it.  Your toenails have been painted since summer began, and you even wore sandals with little wedge heels to your Godmother's baby shower.  I put them on you not realizing the lift they gave, and with your first step you stumbled.  When I tried to take them off and replace them with something else you looked at me and said I got it and did not fall again all day, even without a nap.  You really amaze me.

Your touch of sarcasm is still evident in the way you respond to just about everything.  Since both Mommy and Daddy as well as your big brother are all sarcastic, you're kind of doomed that way.  You greet the people you love the most with smacks to the cheeks without the intent to hurt (but your poor brother is so sensitive).  You have a retort for anything and always have the last word.  Last week I told you to put your shoes on because we were going outside.  You turned to me and said, No!  You put them on, I didn't take them off!  because either me or your brother had helped you remove them earlier.  When you're feeling ornery or lazy you insist you are unable to do something without help and declare Oh I'm not a big girl, I'm just a baby.  So please feed me with my fork.  I have a feeling that the more you develop the more you will try to use this excuse, only because when you have your mind made up that you don't feel like doing something you look for any excuse to argue.

Contradictory to the above, you really aren't high maintenance.  Emotionally and socially you are pretty easy-going.  You share excellently with your brother and even offer me pieces of your cherished treats when you get one.  You cry for about 30 seconds if you get hurt and then shake it off and are doing whatever activity caused your injury all over again.  You crack up when you are tickled but don't hesitate to do it back.  Your infectious laugh can always be heard when you're playing with your brother and he tells a joke, or you make something into a joke, or you guys play tricks on me.  Whenever anyone in your family needs a hug and a kiss you are there to plant one on us, even when we aren't looking.  Your favorite early morning activity is still to suck your thumb and twirl my hair while the rest of the world is still sleeping (and sharing my pillow at your insistence), but it no longer bugs me because I know it's becoming rarer with you getting older and sleeping in your own bed later and later.

Well my little girl with a larger than life personality, I could go on forever about you and your awesomeness, but then this letter would never get posted.  Time to add some pictures, until next time.

I love you so much honey bear.

Love, Mommy

We are best friends, when I can tear you away form your other BFF Gobbles...

Two peas in a pod.  Trouble 1 and trouble 2.

What?  It's not normal to eat a marshmallow on a chopstick?

It's fun! You should try it sometime!

I am not up to no good... i swear...

Loving my big girl bed!

Oh so I should be laying down in this?  

I just need to get some more friends to join me, 5 minnies and 2 doll dolls aren't enough!

Don't worry mom, this is still my favorite place to crash!

Ok Cannoli, you can join us in Mommy and Daddy's bed...

Nice yard sale find, Mommy!  

Cannoli looks less than amused to hang out with us...


No comments:

Post a Comment