Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Thawing Out - Part 3 - Getting outside, inside

Yes - the inside but out of the house fun we had this winter warranted a third post about snow days.  This is it, I promise!  We're always looking for cheap fun little experiences for the kids to have, so there's rarely a weekend where we have no plans.  A lot of the little outings are only an hour or two, but it's enough to entertain the kids, tire them out, and just get them out of the house for a bit.

The Please Touch Museum is one of Gobbles' (and now the Lobster's) favorite places to spend a morning, and they were lucky enough to go twice (thanks for the membership, Grandmom!) during the winter.  The first time was way back before Christmas, my sister had a random Friday off so we took the kids for a few hours of fun.  Gobbles could have played in the water for hours adjusting and opening the locks to the canal, and the Lobster was mesmerized by just about everything, considering this was her first time there since she could grasp the concept of the place.  The crowds were pretty low since it was a weekday and the kids got to partake in everything they wanted.  We even rode the carousel twice because I didn't realize that adults don't need tickets.  The second ride may have been too much for Gobbles, as he almost lost his breakfast after we got off.  Somehow, the miracle cure-all of lunch settled his stomach.  The kids were so happy to have their aunt there and proudly showed her everything they could do.  I was happy too because it's places like this where I'm not even sure I could be alone with them since the Lobster is such a runner!

The next time we went was about a month later, the weekend before hubs and I went to Nassau.  We went on a Sunday morning for opening, and it was empty for a little while to start.  We took advantage of the lack of crowd by starting off in the rocket room, where Gobbles loved launching his rockets over and over again, and the Lobster even got a turn because there was only one other kid there. 

Mom - Look what happens to the boat when the water flows in!

Look Aunt T! I get soaked too!

How did Grandmom's Castle get in there?

Oh, the long hard days at sea!

I'm working hard over here!

MMM. Tastycakes!

Well mom, they were having a sale...

Send your pictures, to dear old Captain Noah!

I always love the excavator!

We picked up a hitch hiker!

Ready to explore space!

I can be a gymnast!

That was a long line, but well worth the rocket launch!

Mommy, I'm feeling a little dizzy!


Same stuff, different day!  Now we're here with Daddy - and I can show the
Lobster how to use the excavator!

I can launch the precise coordinates all by myself!

Alas, I am back at sea!

I didn't see this last time - wheee!

Stop looking at me, SWAN!

Family Selfie in the carousel mirror!
 
Shortly after Christmas Disney on Ice was in town, and we thought this would be a good way to let the kids see the characters from afar, to get their Disney fix for the year.  We knew it was risky because of the Lobster's penchant for not sitting still, but hubs managed to grab tickets in the first row of a section that was fairly empty, so we made out pretty well.  Gobbles loved every bit of it and the Lobster survived the first half of each act without trying to lay on the floor or run away.  They both pointed out their favorites in each scene - from Captain Hook to Ariel, the dancing brooms to Belle, and of course Minnie and Mickey. 
 
By the end of the show, both kids were worn out and begging for overpriced merchandise, but it was still worth it and we will be going again.  When asking the kids their favorite parts, the Lobster immediately answered Spiderman!  after Gobbles informing her that she did not see Spiderman that day, she changed her response to Ariel.  Gobbles agreed that Ariel was one of his favorites too. 
 
Gimme something to drink Daddy, all this waiting is killing me!

Cheese! Now, where's Minnie?

Yes!  Snacks always help pass the waiting time!

Look, Daddy!  It's ARIEL!
Speaking of Ariel, the Lobster proudly showed off her Little Mermaid shirt on a shopping trip when I took her to Kohls.  Not a very exciting outing, but I had errands to run and she needed to get out of the house. I'm sure this day Gobbles was doing something equally as exciting.  Or he was sick, we got sick a lot this winter too.  This excursion also took place in January, because I remember returning a few of the kids' Christmas gifts that did not fit or was duplicates.  As I was handing the merchandise over at customer service, the Lobster began shouting My stuff!  Gimme back my stuff!  Hey that's mine!  The service rep, a guy in his mid-twenties, had no idea what to think of this not-yet-two-year-old screaming at him like a crazy person.  I, on the other hand, had a good laugh.  Then, of course, the joke was on me as I tried to navigate the store and do some shopping with the child who belongs on a leash.  Again, not usually something to write about, but we got out of the house and had some laughs.
Psst.  I HIDIN' you can't find me!

look, it's Ariel on here too!

Just some Minnie Mouse nightshirts, that's all!

And a tee shirt too!  What? It was on clearance! I'll grow into it!

How do I look?

Mom - I LOVE shopping with you!
One random Friday after dragging the kids on more errands, I took them to a nearby mall with an awesome indoor play area.  It was mommy central there, like a party where we didn't know anybody.  It's funny how this stuff doesn't really bother me anymore though, and it definitely didn't bother the kids.  They hopped right in and played and climbed and socialized.  It was a little sad to watch Gobbles because he was one of the biggest kids in there, reminding me of how quickly they grow up.  
Over the purple bridge we go!

Sorry mommy, when I dress myself I pay no attention to my socks!

Look Mommy! no hands!
Last but not least - another mall around us, though slated to close soon, brings in a music man every month.  I'm sure I went through this all before, but the kids LOVE him and are always happy to dance around for an hour, get a free snack, and ride the quarter rides that the mall has.  It's a bonus when their pals from school are there too!  I never thought I'd miss this place, but I'll be sad to see it go. 
No Couch POTATOES!

Look at my stamp, K!  You have one too!

This kind of pole dancing is ok, right?

Load up that bus, we're heading out!

Ready for takeoff!
And, a bonus video of the kids getting down.  They've got moves!

No comments:

Post a Comment