 |
| Happy Valentine's day. from my butt. |
Valentine's Day and potty words. Not two things one would usually want to use in the same story, but for our little family, it just worked out this way. The Lobster has shown interest in the potty at home for a long time and had some at school before it quickly faded. I decided that we'd try the three day method on her while we were cooped up for a long period to see if she'd take an interest in going full time and making life easier for us.
So, with an impending blizzard the night before Valentine's eve, hubs staying in a hotel by work for two nights, and me working at home with two kids who were already done with being at home, I decided it was time. We had basically four whole days to do some hard core potty training (or, as Gobbles referred to it,
Potty Un-training, since we were essentially just going to let the Lobster loose in underpants without a safety net).
We began our little Valentine's Day break on a Tuesday night, prior to the last day of school before the storm and anxious to get the kids' valentine's delivered on time to the class parties that fell on Friday so they would not be attending. The Lobster helped out by scribbling on a few "Minnie Mouse tickets" as she called them. Gobbles took everything very seriously from carefully selecting
his
Planes cards to choosing which friends get which card and bonus tattoo. Of course, after he signed his name about 5 times he was over it, but I helped him push through and sign the remaining 20 or so cards without too much complaining. He even wanted to write one friend's name that he knew how to spell, so I let him have at it. After the kids went to bed I finished attaching candy and assembling the tattoos in the little slots.
 |
| Checking this list is pretty easy when it's upside down! |
 |
| Look Mom, I'm even writing teeny tiny to fit my name in the box! |
 |
| Wine was the only cure for assembly |
Thursday morning, try to the meteorologists' predictions, the blizzard had arrived. The Lobster selected her first pair of underpants and we were ready to start our day. By the time breakfast was over and the kids were settled in front of the TV so I could get some work done, we had gone through three pairs of pants, a roll of paper towels, and many disinfectant wipes. At least this was all on hardwood, for now. With each "accident" the Lobster got a little better at pointing out when she had to go (but was still wet each time).
That afternoon, when the dogs needed to be excused, I double checked with my girl if she had to go. Of course the answer was no, so I left her and Gobbles in the cozy nook they'd made of pillows and blankets and took the pups out. I returned to a horrendous smell. My big girl, who typically would go poopy on the potty regardless of wearing underpants or a pullup, had gone right there, in her underpants, while sitting on a couch pillow. After I cleaned her up and threw out the offending pair of panties (no way was I attempting to clean them!), I called my mom for advice. She told me that instead of having the Lobster have to go all the way to the bathroom each time, bring the potty into the room.
The trick seemed to work, and the Lobster was able to make it to the potty on her own and, by the time the weekend was up, was going without the need to change her pants each time! Success! Or so I thought. She got to school Monday and all was completely erased, because she didn't once ask the teachers to go. I suppose I can wait for her to catch up at school, she's still not old enough for the room they actually do the training in, and it's a lot for the teachers to take 5 other kids along every time the Lobster needs to go. On the weekends since her training immersion, the Lobster has only gotten better. Even in pullups she wakes up dry and asks to go potty, holding it until she gets there. She's even been going in public, holding it all the way until we find a bathroom. So, we'll stay in the habit of going at home and as soon as she switches classrooms (hopefully in June), she'll be ready for full time underpants!
 |
| I am the potty QUEEN! |
 |
| Well at least I have pants on now... |
 |
Sometimes it's the only way I can get work done. And no, she's not wearing a pullup in this pic.
Those are the risks I have to take sometimes! |
 |
Did mommy mention there was a treadmill delivered right before the snow came?
it sat in the hall for 3 days while Daddy was away. it was my motivation to potty! |
Now that the potty talk is out of the way, on to more holiday celebrating. With hubs knowing he'd be away for the two nights leading up to Valentine's day, he managed to get us flowers and chocolates on the Tuesday prior, and although I admired my flowers, I held the kids off from opening their cards and eating their chocolate until Friday. Then of course, when Valentine's Day arrived, it was all chocolate, all the time!
 |
| Each kid with the dog that matches their personality |
 |
| Happy love day! |
 |
| Oh I just LOVE getting my picture taken! |
 |
| Really, we could let that camera roll all day! |
 |
| Alright, now i'm getting antsy! |
It was a very special Valentine's Day for us because my sister was announcing her pregnancy to the world, and I could start to talk openly about it with the kids. Gobbles of course wants her to have a boy, named after his best friend at school. The Lobster wants a girl, to be named, Lobster. My little narcissist. Regardless of the sex or name, we are so so excited to meet this kid!
 |
| Waahhh. I won't be the baby anymore! |
Between working and shoveling the snow we also managed to make some chocolate covered strawberries for hubs and a few extras to bring to my sister and brother-in-law, who we were visiting later that night. The Lobster of course stole spoonfuls of sprinkles in between decorating the strawberries, but she did manage to get a few made with love. After the kids were bored with it I finished up and made a few clean ones since it wasn't just Daddy who was going to be eating them. The kids each got to sample one and of course were very proud of their own work.
 |
| So where are the goodies? |
 |
| mmm. testing the strawberries, good to go! |
 |
| First we melt the chips - don't touch the stove Lobster! |
 |
| Then we dip the strawberries and spoon the sprinkles! Yum |
 |
| You got it Lobster, GOOD JOB! |
 |
| hey wait! get that spoon out of your mouth! |
 |
Wahhh! Mommy yelled at me for tainting half the strawberries.
I'm going to cover my eyes with my sprinkle-dyed hands! |
 |
| MMM! well worth the effort! |
 |
| ok, i'm better! bring on the chocolate!! |
Next, it was time to make cards for Daddy. The lobster was just thrilled that I let her use markers but Gobbles got right down to work asking me to spell out the words he wanted to put on the card. It amazes me that he can write most of his letters without help, I can't believe how much he knows.
 |
| Daddy will be so proud of me! |
 |
| Me too! I didn't even color my hands yet! |
 |
Sure, I wrote I love you NO Daddy. but it's just because no is the only
word I can spell other than my name, so I wanted to show you I could do it - I
didn't think about the context! |
 |
| Ta-da! Happy Day. |
Finally, we were off to my sister's for some pizza and Vday antics since hubs was still working. The lobster dressed up in her finest hearts and off we went. The kids were thrilled to be spoiled by their aunt and uncle with little treasures and, of course, more candy. They got their very first Pez dispensers, and just like their Daddy, fell in love with the candy. I think they gobbled it all up within the first few days (with some help from Dad!).
 |
| Sweater dress Friday! |
 |
| Thank you, Aunt T! |
 |
| I love you and this nifty bag to hold all my stuff! |
 |
| Let's get these cars across the bridge! |
 |
| Pez is good any time of day! |
 |
| Seriously, get in mah bellay! |
The Valentine's celebrations continued through the weekend when we met up with two of the kids' favorite school friends at Iron Hill Brewery. I had been discussing the Shokolad Stout release with their mother, and we decided we needed some chocolate beers, so we rounded up the kids and set a date for Sunday lunch. Gobbles enjoyed his "first date" with his gal pal, D, and the Lobster could not stop talking about how cool it was to see her bff K at the restaurant! The next day at school, the girls were thrilled to chat about how they shared chicken fingers and ice cream, and Gobbles asked to go back to preschool so he could hang out with D more.
 |
| Look Mommy! It's K! |
 |
| Mommy was a little disheveled leaving so she didn't bring any toys. Can I see? |
 |
| Cheese! |
 |
| We'll have the mac and cheese please! |
 |
| Man this chicken is good! |
 |
| ya want some? |
 |
| A selfie with my girl! |
 |
| yes - ice cream time! |
 |
| I promise I'll clean my plate! |
 |
| What a fun date! thanks for coming! |
 |
| Really? After all that I have to hold the Lobster's hand? |
All in all, it was a weekend of love, family, friends, and food. All that was missing was hubs! But that's just February at his work, and it's over now - time for more family fun now that it's March!
No comments:
Post a Comment