It's been almost 2 months since our little vacation to Disney World and I'm finally finding time to
relax sneak an hour at work and write about it. This was the Lil Lobster Roll's first time, first plane ride, everything, and the second for Gobbles (but surely the first of his memory). As far as the actual travel, Gobbles is a dream companion - carrying his bag, sitting quietly in his seat. Save for the little accident he had waiting in line for the bathroom (he's not used to waiting when he has
to go!), he was a perfect little traveler. His sister on the other hand, forget it. Back and forth between our laps
- Mommy! Daddy! Kicking the seat in front of us
Please!, making faces at the people behind us
Hi!, and climbing over her brother to look out his window
No-no! She's just lucky she's cute...
Day 1 - Epcot
After we got to the hotel and found out our room wasn't ready (first time ever on a Disney trip), we freshened up, met up with hubs' sister, her husband, and their princess Poozers (3 months older than the Lobster), we headed over to Epcot, where the flower and garden festival was winding down. This year, they had kiosks similar to the food and wine festival with seasonal bites and paired drinks. The plan was to journey around the world enjoying food and drinks. Before making it to the worlds' showcase, the boys stopped off for their annual mission space ride while my sister-in-law and I took the kids to check out some topiaries and play in club cool. The kids loved being sprayed with the water and even more so climbing up and down a curb with a railing along it, in fact they could have stayed there all day.
After the boys returned to earth (I've hung up my Mission Space seat belt long ago. I'm old and my body cannot handle that!), it was off to Mexico for some margaritas and tapas. The lobster roll ate up my crab tostada and promptly fell asleep, as did her cousin. We sauntered through the countries at a leisurely pace so the girls could sleep and Gobbles could take it all in. SIL and I took him on the Maelstrom - his very first Disney ride!- while the boys stayed with the sleeping babies. He commented that it was dark and a little scary but he liked it- not what he was expecting in terms of "rides" but it would do. On our way back to find everyone we got caught behind the drawbridge opening to let the Illuminations equipment through - it was really neat to see up close, and of course Gobbles loved watching the boats.
We made our way to America where Gobbles decided to color a "Duffy the Bear" while we enjoyed some beers. While he was coloring, there was a call for patriotic volunteers to join the parade in front of the pavilion. Gobbles headed over without a second thought, and, being the tiniest one there, got to lead the march around the courtyard, proudly waving his declaration of independence in the air as he marched. It was then I saw the Disney bug bite him, and the trip had just begun. We made our way through the rest of the world enjoying more food and drink. I housed the crepes in France since neither of my pancake loving kids would touch them. By the time we got back to our room at Bay Lake we were stuffed and exhausted. After some trouble getting our luggage and groceries delivered (oh I'm sorry there was a PROM going on at the Contemporary at the time), we were able to get the kids into bed with little fuss, with promise of even more fun in the days to come.
 |
| Fail. |
 |
| Tow-Mater is my favorite! |
 |
| C'mon water, give us everything you've got! |
 |
| I survived my first Disney Ride! |
 |
| Mommy loves explaining to me how drawbridges work! |
 |
| Getting a little hot out here! |
 |
| Hey George, lemme show you how this is done! |
 |
| Don't worry, Mommy, I won't color on your beer! |
 |
| Cheese! |
Day 2 - Chef Mickey's and Magic Kingdom
The first stop on our first full day in the World was to Chef Mickey's for breakfast, conveniently located in the Contemporary, a short walk across a sky bridge from the Bay Lake Towers. We decided that rather than have the kids wait in too many lines for characters we'd knock a lot of the main ones out at once - and immerse the kiddies into the Disneyness of it all. I have not been to this restaurant in 15 years when I went with the girls for senior week, and it is so much better than I remember. We all must have eaten two days' worth of food that morning, which is good because
meeting the characters scaring the kids on an empty stomach would have made them more miserable. Gobbles was surprisingly thrilled with each character, his sister and cousin; however, were not. Somehow Goofy made it through without drama, but the way Mickey snuck up on the Little Lobster Roll sent everything downhill. I felt bad laughing, but I have never seen her so truly petrified, while Gobbles was all joy. I'm sure when she's older she'll appreciated the early introduction.
 |
| Goofy don't take Gobble's pancake! |
 |
| Mickey don't take the Lobster's happiness! |
 |
| Keep your distance, Minnie Mouse! |
 |
| Still too close! |
 |
| Are they done yet? |
When breakfast was over, we took the girls to get their first haircuts at the Harmony Barber Shop. Gobbles got one too, much more of a real haircut than his first birthday, when he was practically bald to start with. Fresh with pixie dust and "pirate's gold" sprinkled on their little heads, the kids (and us of course) headed up Main Street for some Mickey fun. The boys ran to Fantasyland to grab a fastpass for Dumbo, while we headed over to Adventureland to ride the Magic Carpets of Aladdin.
Wheee my kids screamed as we rose up and down and circled around. Gobbles loved controlling the carpet and made sure we got to go
so high in the sky!
As we made our way over to Dumbo, the Lobster Roll fell asleep, so I went to snag fastpasses for something else while everyone rode. Hubs and I swapped when they were done and I enjoyed Dumbo with Mr. Gobbles as well - what a fun ride companion! We got to go together with Gobbles on Winnie the Pooh while the in-laws watched the sleeping girls. Hubs took Gobbles on the Barnstormer, but it was a little too fast for him, so he didn't want to go again. Funny how that would change in about a day. At some point we ate lunch at a little pavilion tucked away behind Storybook Circus. The girls were playing around after lunch and Gobbles asked to go on the race cars. We left the dads on duty and sister-in-law and I took him. As we were getting on to the ride, the skies opened up and a downpour began. I had a poncho in my purse and rushed to put it on Gobbles, who didn't seem phased in the least. He LOVED the race cars (ahem, Tomorrowland Speedway), but insisted that next time, I sit in the drivers' seat because they were too hard to steer. They shut the ride down as we pulled up to the finish line, the rain unyielding. We made our way back to the rest of the group and waited out the storm.
After the rain let up, we split up from the Poozers family and headed to tomorrowland. Gobbles had been waiting all day to ride the Asto-Orbitor rocket ships. The Lobster insisted on riding with
Mooooommmmmy! so Gobbles rode with hubs. He had a blast, while I came off the ride a little green, realizing I might just be too old for that. We settled ourselves on one of my personal favorites, The Tomorrowland Transit Authority, aka the People Mover. Gobbles loved that he got to go inside space mountain without having to ride it. We then defeated Zurg on Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, and decided to wander in to the Monsters' Inc Laugh Floor. Of course, this is the ONE ride that I did not have my camera out, and here's what happened:
The Monster's Inc Laugh Floor is an interactive show with a monster on the screen telling jokes to the audience to try and fill up the laugh can. Towards the end of the show they bring out Mike Wazowski's nephew. He asked if any kids wanted to talk to him, and of course Gobbles's hand shot up. Next thing you know, Gobbles is streaming up on the big screen in front of 400 people. I was so proud of my little man, keeping cool and composed with all those eyes on him. First they asked his name and age, to which he answered easily. There may have been a joke in there too but I can't remember. Then they asked "Gobbles, what do you want to be when you grow up?" He paused, seemingly thoughtful, and responded "An Engineer". All around me I heard a string of "awwwwwws" and I melted into a puddle. My vacation was made right there. They did a few other jokes with him, maybe a knock knock one, but I was so flustered I can't remember. I just keep kicking myself - the ONE time I did not have my phone out and recording. It will be blazoned into my memory forever though, I love my little man so much. It was definitely my highlight, but to him it was like "eh, just another day being me".
After we were done at the laugh floor, as I simultaneously beamed proudly and cursed myself for missing the video opportunity, we made our way back to the hotel, exhausted and thrilled from our first day at the Magic Kingdom.
 |
| I'm not sure I trust you, lady with the scissors! |
 |
| I know, I'm dashing! |
 |
| We have SO many stickers! |
 |
| Not sure who you are, lady, but if you don't make my sister cry, you're ok in my book |
 |
| a whole new world! |
 |
| Cousins keeping dry and having fun! |
 |
| This thing is a little tough to handle in the rain |
 |
| Yea... maybe a little wet |
 |
| Time to take that rocket ship high in the SKY |
 |
| Whoops - sharp turn there! |
 |
| Don't worry Lobstah, I've got you now! |
 |
| The people mover! |
No comments:
Post a Comment