 |
| Waiting for the Monorail... Story of our lives |
Day 3 - Hollywood Studios and Mommy Pampering
On the third day of our vacation, there was no rush to get out the door by a certain time, but the two little princesses were both up and ready to go early, so we dragged ourselves and poor Gobbles out of bed so we could get to Hollywood Studios before the girls' morning meltdown. We made it to the park in time to grab FastPasses for Toy Story Mania, though they weren't until the afternoon. After we stopped to watch a pop-up show in front of the sorcerer's hat, we headed to the Animation Courtyard to get in line for the Disney Jr Live on Stage. Although it was a bit uncomfortable sitting on the floor (with two kids on my lap - they were in a Mom mood that morning), the kids loved it, getting to sing and dance along with all their Disney Jr characters.
 |
| Wow! Those guys we see on TV are REAL! |
 |
| Hot Dog Dance! |
Morning had flown by and though it felt like we didn't do anything yet, it was already time for lunch. Sisterinlaw and I settled the kids in the backlot eating area while the boys went off to pizza planet to grab lunch for the adults. (The whole trip, we used the groceries we'd had delivered to the room to pack lunches for the kids, eat breakfast in our hotel room, etc. Saved a ton of $ and allowed Gobbles his preferred sandwich of cream cheese and jelly all week). By the time they returned the kids' were just about done, ready to mooch a few bites from us. It was then I spotted the Star Wars peanut butter cupcake, which I just
had to have. Gobbles eyes widened when we brought it to the table, and the two of us finished this massive cupcake in less than two minutes flat, each one shoveling as much in as we could, afraid the other was going to eat it all. Embarrassing and disgusting, but man that cupcake was good.
 |
| Poof! Gone in about 45 seconds! |
After lunch we still had time to wait for Toy Story, so we parted with the in laws so the Poozers could nap and they could have a beer, and we took Gobbles to the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground to burn off some energy. I ran over to Star Tours to quickly grab a picture of my little Jedi girl, and by the time I got back hubs put me on Gobbles duty for a bit, chasing him all around the play area. There were cargo nets and tunnels and slides that went every which way, and I kept loosing him, so hubs had to retake the reins. When we finally wrestled the kids out of the playground all hot and sweaty, we got ourselves some nice rum drinks and took the kids to wait in air conditioning to meet two favorites, Buzz and Woody.
 |
| Help me Obi Wan Kanobi |
 |
| No fear climbing as high as I can go! |
 |
| I love to ride! Stationary or not! |
 |
| To infinity... and Beyond! But don't forget my water! |
 |
| You have saved our lives, we are eternally grateful |
 |
| You really are stinky Pete! |
 |
| You've got a friend in me! |
The Lobster was of course no happier hanging out with these guys than she was the Mickey crew the day prior, but we figured it'd build character to have her meet them. Terrible pun intended. By the time we had finished with them, plus a bonus meeting with a green army man that happened to be walking by, it was time Toy Story Mania. Though the kids flat out refused to wear the 3d glasses, they still had a ton of fun spinning and shooting as we whizzed through the carnival games.
 |
| Toy Story MANIA |
It was mid-afternoon when my sister-in-law and I
bid farewell to our adorable children and loving husbands managed to escape the tired meltdowns not one but three kids began to throw. We had 4pm appointments at the Grand Floridian Spa and could not be late. The boys took a boat over to Epcot and meandered their way back through the World's Showcase (stopping for a drink or two with the kids then asleep in strollers) and finally took the monorail back to the hotel. Meanwhile, we were pampered from the minute we stepped into the spa, greeted with assorted teas, cucumber water, and mini muffins as well as all through our manis and pedis. We only felt a little guilty hearing the thunder and thinking of the boys running for cover with the strollers (we later learned this was on their way out of Epcot onto the monorail, so they narrowly escaped the storms).
The Spa must have been on its own time clock, because after the best relaxation and a promise to treat ourselves
every Disney trip, we made our way back to the hotel, not even realizing how late it was. Hubs was just reading Gobbles and the Lobster Roll their bedtime stories when we got in, having bathed them and really deserving a medal for the night. I helped get our kids into bed then headed over to help out with the Poozers, who would be under hubs' and my watch for the night while the in laws enjoyed a late dinner date.
Day 4 - Magic Kingdom, Coral Reef, and Illuminations
 |
| If it's the happiest place on earth, why isn't everyone smiling?? |
For this trip, considering we were in walking distance to Magic Kingdom, and it really is the most kid-friendly park until probably age 7 or 8, we spent a lot of time there. It's funny because whenever hubs and I would go pre-kids, we'd spend the majority of our time at Hollywood Studios and Epcot, and this time I didn't even ride the Tower of Terror (and didn't think anything of it!). So by Tuesday we were headed back to the MK in order to find some thrills. We started off in the direction of the Magic Carpets but the Lobster Roll was already asleep by the time we got there. (As the week went on, the heat combined with the fact she was still waking up at 6am led her to fall asleep in the stroller earlier and earlier each day). Poozers may have been asleep at this point too. Anyway, the Dads took their turns on the carpets with Gobbles, and then we decided to be a little cruel and take my little boy on Splash Mountain while the girls slept.
Sister-in-Law and I went first, because I didn't want to miss another chance with Gobbles since he refused the barnstormer after his Daddy took him. It was only a 5-10 minute wait, and we were able to do the baby swap since the girls were too small to go on, so when we got off the boys could ride with Gobbles via fastpass without having to waste an actual fastpass on it (which was perfect because we grabbed them for thunder mountain in the meantime. But I digress. So with little wait we actually walked right onto the ride (although I got in trouble for carrying Gobbles past a certain point, as he was tired from weaving along the empty long path taken up by long lines on hot days). He proudly showed his height, the new haircut spiking his hair that it just grazed the marker, and we were allowed to board.
Immediately as the boat whooshed down a little hill into the water to begin the journey, Gobbles got nervous. And so did I. We began distracting him with the stories of the Brair Rabbit but he could sense that we were heading up, up, and up. Another small hill and he was close to done "I want to get off" he proclaimed. I told him that there were just a few more minutes and we only had one more hill to go. He calmed down until we actually came to the base of that hill and realized we had to go up some more before heading down. Sister-in-law and I both held him tight as he began to cry, hearing the screams of those going before us. Before he knew it, Gobbles (and the rest of our log) plummeted 52 feet into the Briar Patch below. He was a little hysterical from the ride, but by the time we unloaded and exited, he requested to go again. That's my boy. The 2nd time around (with Daddy this time), he didn't shed a tear. Same thing happened on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - all terror and fear with Mommy, but cool as a cucumber with the boys.
 |
| Don't ever do this to me again! |
 |
| I can't believe I'm on here again! |
 |
| Daddy, this is too fast! |
 |
| what? I was sleeping, what'd I miss? |
With the girls waking up and Gobbles having had enough of Frontierland for one day, we boarded the Disney World Railroad and rode over to Fantasyland. Our stay was short and sweet, riding the newly rehabbed Journey of the Little Mermaid, then singing along to our favorite songs at Mickey's Philharmagic. Well, I should say 3 of us were singing along, Gobbles was sort of crying the whole time. I know he is sensitive with his eyes and to certain sounds, but I didn't realize just how much the 3D show would bother him (even without the 3d glasses).
 |
| Don't interrupt Gobbles on the train - he's in his glory! |
 |
| Ah! I have mommy and daddy to myself for the moment! |
 |
| I want to ride already! |
 |
| Too bad the still camera can't catch me DANCING! |
 |
| See Mommy? I can sit with her on the monorail. I'm the best big brother! |
We decided that in order to have kids happy to make the trek to Epcot for dinner, we'd have to cut the day short and have lunch and a nap back at the hotel. This worked like a charm, and soon we were back on the Monorail headed to the Coral Reef for dinner. Hubs and I have been at this restaurant a few times before without problem, but this will probably be our last time there for awhile. The wait (on a reservation we'd made 180 days prior) was close to a half hour. No problem as adults, but with three little kids it was just a pain. The same thing actually happened to us last time we went with Gobbles when he was 12 months and we left. But this time, Gobbles insisted he wanted to see the fish - and I will admit, the atmosphere of the restaurant is awesome - a giant aquarium (the same one Uncle Jessie and Joey broadcast from in one of the Full House Disney World episodes!). But, by the time we got seated (sans high chairs) and the food came, it just a disappointment. So we'll scratch it off the reservation list for the next few trips to the World.
 |
| Back on the Monorail headed to dinner! |
 |
| well the bread is great I must say! |
 |
| so's the atmosphere |
 |
| Look Lobster! Look at that sting ray! |
After dinner, the sun was starting to set and we took advantage of the kids' full bellies and headed over to the World Showcase lagoon to watch Illuminations. The giant torches surrounding the lagoon were lit in anticipation of the show, which we had previously told Gobbles included fireworks. He saw the fire from the torches, winced, and said that the fireworks were too hot they were hurting him. I tried to explain that, no, that was just fire, not fireworks. A few minutes later after the fireworks started, Gobbles marvelled at how pretty the "works" were, but again reiterated that the FIREworks were too hot. The girls also enjoyed the show, and the adults enjoyed some margaritas to go along with it.
 |
| Yay for the $ store glow sticks mommy packed! |
 |
| Family time! |
 |
| Mommy, the fireworks are burning me! |
 |
| But I love the works! |
 |
| Mee too! |
 |
| Boom boom boom! |
Day 5 - Animal Kingdom, The Pool, and Date Night
The day we went to Animal Kingdom was another bus transportation day. By the time everyone woke up, ate breakfast, and had ridden the somewhat long ride to the park, the Lobster Roll was again ready for a nap and stole a quick one while we made our way through the park to grab fastpasses for the Kilimanjaro Safaris. While waiting for the ride we made the mistake of taking the kids into It's Tough to be a Bug, totally forgetting Gobble's sensory issues the day before. About 30 seconds into the show (and ample warnings that some things may freak out small children), Gobbles started muttering
I want to go, I want to get out. Make it stop. So out the door with hubs he went. A few minutes later, after a cockroach appeared and "sprayed us all with bug spray" (at this point I realized OMG I'd never seen this show before and I was freaked out!). Needless to say, half the theater cleared out, including the Princess Poozer and her parents. Meanwhile, the Lil Lobster Roll sat perfectly happy talking to the giant bugs.
 |
| Getting closer to a family full of smiles! |
 |
| Shhh... I'm on safari |
When the show was over my brave little girl and I found the shaken bunch and together we headed to the Safaris. The kids loved riding along seeing the animals up close, Gobbles enjoyed pointing out all the guys he knew. By the time the safari was over, we were all starving, ready for lunch at one of our favorite places - The Flame Tree BBQ. The kids, Sister-in-Law, and I found a nice little area to spread out and start feeding the kids while we waited for the boys and our food. As the kids were eating, some ducks wandered up to us
wak-wak the Lobster Roll screamed as they approached. Then when they got too close she freaked out a little bit, and Gobbles took it upon himself to chase them away. The boys were soon back with our food and we all relaxed with some beers and barbecue to our tummies' content.
 |
| Quack Quack. Get this think AWAY from me! |
After lunch, it was off to Dinoland U.S.A. to ride the Triceratops Spin, which is basically Dumbo but with dinosaurs. First, we all rode together, then we walked across to get a baby swap for the Primevil Whirl, a guilty pleasure ride for which I still don't understand the height requirement (even Gobbles couldn't ride). The boys rode first while we went back to the dinosaur dumbo, then they came to trade off. I think the girls were ready for a snooze by this time, so their dads put them down with Brother-in-Law watching them while hubs rode the spin
again with Gobbles and SIL and I enjoyed the whirl. Whew! Those are really the only enjoyable rides for the age group we have at animal kingdom besides the petting zoo, which was a train ride away, impossible with two sleeping princesses in strollers. I volunteered to watch them while the in laws went over to ride Expedition Everest and hubs took Gobbles into the boneyard - a giant playground and sandbox which was easily his favorite location of the day.
 |
| Yay for Dino Dumbo! We LOOOVE it! |
 |
| I'll make us go high in the sky! |
 |
| Ride number 2... or 3. Mommy is solo! |
 |
| Taking an educational break! |
 |
| Gobbles you look so silly! Daddy's not going to bury you like the other dads did with their kids. He doesn't like sand THAT much! |
 |
| Climbing on the fossils |
As I sat there, some old lady joined me and started chatting about the girls when all of the sudden we heard the rumbling of thunder and the skies opened up. She helped me maneuver the two strollers under a kiosk and I called hubs, oblivious to the weather with the tin roof over the sand box. He and Gobbles arrived and helped me get the girls under a more permanent cover and we wait for the storm to pass. Except it didn't. It just rained harder, so we get some ice cream. The in-laws arrived back from their ride and we wait for the storm to pass, letting the girls sleep. After the rain let up we decided to head back to the hotel. Hubs and I had a hot date that night, and we wanted the kids to unwind a little before ditching them.
The skies were clear by the time we got back, and we had an hour to spare, so we took the kids down to the pool to wear them out before bed. The Lobster Roll loved playing in the dancing water, and the pool as well of course. Gobbles was ready to go right in and took the kiddie slide by storm. When the Lobster and I joined hubs and Gobbles (and the Poozer family), the discussion came arose whether it would be weird for an adult to go down the giant slide. Of course I said no, since they are so much fun, and I've made a point to go down each of the Disney Resort ones as we stay there. Hubs was weary, but brother-in-law and I went right up. I had so much fun that Gobbles decided he wanted to try. There was a strict rule of one person at a time, so brother-in-law and I went up and hubs waited at the bottom (I guess my lucky sister-in-law got stuck holding both of the girls!). Gobbles watched his uncle go down to learn what to do. When it was his turn, I silently prayed, sat him down in the water, and gave him a little push. He laid on his back properly, but somewhere in the first or second turn he rolled kind of onto his side and belly, finally landing safely in his Daddy's arms. This was one ride he did
not want to do again. He told us that it was fun, but he just wasn't interested again (although by this point, hubs' curiosity had piqued, and he loved the water slide! who cares if we look foolish!).
 |
| Mom, we really could have used some more time at the pool! |
The kids' lips started turning purple, a sure sign that pool fun should be over for the day. We bathed them, fed them a quick dinner, and put them off to bed. We bid farewell to the Poozer family watching the kids for the night and went down to the dock to catch the boat to the Wilderness Lodge. We had a fantastic dinner, as always, at Artist Point, where the waitress gave us the mickey ear straws to take back for the kids. We spent the meal both reminiscing the past and planning our future Disney Vacations, just content to be in our happy place for the 6th time together and glad that we still had 3 more days of fun planned.
 |
| Our hotel from the water |
Im exhausted simply reading this....I need a nap now
ReplyDelete