So last post I let it all out, all of the struggles I was feeling being a mommy of two (with many other stress contributing factors). Today, it's all about the joy. The joy of my adorable kids and their interaction with each other. Quite fitting that I'm writing today for two reasons. One - it's Dr. Seuss's birthday, and two - it was picture day at Gobbles' school. They always do both individual pictures and sibling shots, so I asked if it was ok that I bring up the Lil Lobster Roll, even though she's not technically enrolled yet. Those pics will come soon...
Gobbles has been pretty accepting and even helpful with his sister, as long as we don't push too hard. Sure, he's asked to put her on the floor on more than one occasion and will try everything to change the subject of conversation if we're gushing about her for too long, but overall he's a wonderful big brother.
He has helped give the Lobstah baths, throw out diapers, and most importantly grab burp clothes for me when I'm nursing. Mommy feeds the baby from her belly. Good Burp, Lobstah. Mommy you use the milk machine to make bottles.
**At this point in writing I was interrupted by a request for showing with less than an hours' notice. Then the chaos of the weekend ensued. Etc. Now it's Wednesday, March 7**
Monday night the living room got a little too quiet while I was making dinner. I had left the baby on her playmat and Gobbles was playing, so I put down what I was doing to peek in and check on things. Before I could round the corner I hear Mommy I hold Lobstah's haaaannnd? (Whenever Gobbles asks a question his last word is always drawn out). There I witnessed my two kids in a peaceful moment. The first time Gobbles initiated contact on his own. He was holding her hand and examining her tiny fingers. I laid down on the floor next to them and said, "See how small her hand is? Go ahead, give her a kiss". Of course I overstepped my bounds and Gobbles dropped her hand and got up to go play with a balloon.
Of course the peace won't be there every day... last night as I was burping the Lil Lobster Roll, Gobbles was playing with a ball, bouncing it around the living room. Out of nowhere - whoosh, bonk! - the ball bounced squarely off the side of my baby's head. Now, this ball was soft enough that it didn't do any damage, but it definitely shocked the poor child. Hubs and I both jumped into discipline mode and Gobbles got time out until he was able to muster an apology and a hug / kiss for his sister. I have a feeling this won't be the last time he's going to get a lecture about how he treats her....
The house is crazy these days, filled with energy and joy and chaos and tears and tantrums and dirty diapers. I know one of my best memories of this crazy time will be of a brotherly moment that occurred this sunday - I well up with pride whenever I think of it. We were driving and Lil Lobster Roll was wailing in her carseat. I looked in the rearview and said to Gobbles, "Can you sing a song to make your sister feel better?". His little voice piped up Mommy, I fill Lobstah's bucket (at school he's learned that it is important to be a "bucket filler" by passing positivity to your peers, essentially "filling their bucket"). From the backseat, my son's singing filled the car,
Bucket filler, Bucket filler
Every day, Every day.
I can fill a bucket.
I can fill a bucket.
You can tooooo.
You can toooooo.
I only wish I had recorded his cute little voice singing it, as he was so genuine in trying to get his sister to stop being sad. The best part about it all? It worked.
| See - Once in while we've got a smile! |
| Yikes, If she touches me I'm not sure I can smile so big |
| Mom - she's still too close! |
| Really tooo close!! |
| The promise of a snack and the END of the photo session is the only reason I'm smiling! |
| MY Boppy! |
He's doing awesome! (and you are too!) :-)
ReplyDelete