Life has been a blur since the new year began, every time I seem to catch my breath something else comes up. Work has been insane, I've had to travel every other week since Christmas (an A-B pattern as Gobbles would point out), but I'm hoping the trend is broken next week since the tentative meetings have not been finalized.
Our weekends have been filled with playdates, birthday parties, soccer games, family outings, and soon to be t-ball. Nothing to complain about at all, we are lucky to have so many options for fun. It does get overwhelming trying to find balance among the different social circles- family, my friends, daycare friends, hubs friends, and neighbors. We get so excited to make plans with one group then realize we haven't seen another in too long, and the cycle goes on. We're thankful to have a packed calendar and also so happy when we have a few hours of straight family time, especially now that the weather is gorgeous and the sunporch is open. The kids are the perfect age because they can play outside by themselves while we throw the porch doors open to hear them from whatever task we're trying to complete inside.
Every time I've thought about writing a blog (we just had so much fun doing that, or, I want to remember this moment), a last minute fire occurs and my creative energy goes to crap. I think about
hmm well if I write about this weekend then things will be out of order if I ever get to writing about our Disney trip from January, so I need to start at the beginning. Then I get overwhelmed and decide not to write at all.
F that, I use this outlet more than I realize to look back on the kids' milestones and our happy memories, which I don't want to stop at ages 3 and 5. Even if I just take 15 minutes a week, I need to prioritize jotting down a few lines it just a little.
This new resolve comes on the heels of very unhappy news from the kids' school, as one of Gobbles' former classmates passed away from DIPG, an incurable form of brain cancer. This little boy had just turned five and spent the last 10 months fighting the unimaginable. We followed the journey of him and his family, the treatments, the make-a-wish moments, the scramble to make as many memories with him as they could. They were amazing throughout their ordeal with their faith and positivity, all the while knowing what was inevitable. One of the last videos they shared of him was his interaction with his younger sister, just holding her hand and being with her, both of them seeming wise beyond their years. The news of his passing was not unexpected, but it still sent shockwaves through my heart, as I have been aching for his parents and imagining myself in their shoes, shaking the thoughts as quickly as they arrive then feeling guilty for being so selfish to worry about my own worst fears when theirs became a reality.
Like most of the school parents we chose not to share what happened with our children. Since the boy has been sick he was only at school a handful of times, and with the turnover they've had it's hard to tell how much Gobbles noticed his particular absence. Only time will tell if this protection of innocence with ignorance was the right choice, but it's one subject I try to stay away from with the kids - as of right now, they believe that death is for the elderly. I'm a coward for lying to them (they even think their turtle wanted to move back to his original owner's house), but I can't bring myself to let them feel that kind of fear, or sadness, especially when I'm not even in the place to process something happening to someone so young.
I don't really know where to go from here, but I know I want to continue making as many memories with my children as time allows, because we only get one life, and we are going to make the most out of every damn second. That is why it's so important for me to take a little time and jot these memories down, so they'll always be here, a reminder of how much have and will continue to enjoy the gifts of live and love.
And with that, some simple moments of Love from this past winter:
 |
| Sunshine and snow and happy kids |
 |
| my beautiful snowbunny |
 |
| By the power of Greyskull... |
 |
| And one more sweet shot |
 |
| Teamwork |
 |
| A boy's best friend |
 |
| Be my Valentine |
 |
| Pretending to be the bride |
 |
| Spinning with her "boyfriend" (her label, not mine) |
 |
Valentine's playdate. Hubs brought me a dozen roses and a single rose with baby's breath for his daughter on Valentine's day. She told all of our guests that the dozen were from her Daddy to her, and the single was mine :) |
 |
| Loving the conversations and looking like a grown-up |
 |
| What began as a lunchtime "drop-off" playdate evolved into the parents coming for pickup only for us all to continue the party with pizza and beer well past the kids' bedtime. Hubs had worked all day and came home to this, stopping to pick up the pizza and some snacks on his way. He does not mind my spontaneous social endeavors, and I love him for that. The kids and their friends still talk about this day with smiles on their faces and wonderful memories in their hearts. |
 |
| If only they'll be this close when they're in their 20s. Their moms can dream, right? |
 |
| More snowbunny shots |
 |
| Partners in crime in everything they do |
 |
| Keeping cool together |
 |
| I'll pull you anywhere |
 |
| And I'll sit outside with you as long as you want to play |
 |
| Multitudes of snow angels |
 |
| Cousins ready for one last snowfall |
 |
| It tastes wonderful |
 |
| Carrots for breakfast? Or is Mommy already in PJs at Dinnertime? |
 |
| Teamwork in the form of a 300 piece puzzle |
 |
| Making new old friends |
 |
| Another daytime playdate that continued well until the deer came out for the night. More spontaneous time with friends and more pizza pickups by hubs. I love everything about this. |
 |
| The sleeves may have holes but those are signs of a well-loved dress. |
 |
| Recycling hipster threads into princess dresses since 2015. |
 |
| A morning campout while mommy and daddy are still sleeping |
 |
| Sharing her hair with her cousin |
 |
| And her accessories |
 |
| Getting close- past his comfort zone |
 |
| Love from a special admirer from Mommy's work. |
 |
| More of a boy's best friends |
 |
| This kid is so awesome... according to herself too! |
 |
| Teamwork in "cooking"... |
 |
| ...and a tasty result! |
 |
| Brother, sister, leprechaun love... |
 |
| They just keep getting taller |
 |
| Smiling eyes |
 |
| And a little dance |
 |
| Hugs, wanted or not |
 |
| Our "outdoor pets" |
 |
| More cooking... and eating |
 |
| Finally getting outside! |
 |
| Spring is just around the corner! |
*I feel better having gotten some off my chest, so combined with this post and that one, i should only have one more to finish out the winter. Hopefully before spring is over...
No comments:
Post a Comment