Dear Gobbles,
Wow. You are FOUR years old. My big boy you are all grown up. I say it every year but I cannot believe how quickly you are growing. You are your own person with your own ideas and opinions. You are kind, caring, affectionate, empathetic, imaginative, witty, stubborn, sensitive, and
so incredibly intelligent. You are a leader among your school friends, but also know when to step back and just observe. You are the best big brother your sister could ask for. I hope you know how proud I am of you and that I love you all the time.
Your weekend morning routine consists of waking up, going potty, getting dressed, then coming into my and Daddy's room and greeting your puppies one by one. If we haven't already been up with your sister, we awaken to your sweet little voice talking to your puppies, whom you have not seen in at least 8-10 hours.
Oh Spoonsie bear, my LOVE. I missed you SO MUCH. You are such a good girl, you look like you could use some LOVE! I love you so much, AWWWWW! Oh Cannoli, gimmie shakes! Give me a kiss! Oh you're licking me but you're a good boy! Hahahaha. After at least 5-10 minutes of loving on the dogs, you finally climb into our bed to give your parents hugs and kisses before requesting Jake and the Neverland Pirates on demand while we still laze about. If we fall back asleep, no problem, as you know how to put on a new show, and if it's on DVR, you know how to fast forward the commercials.
Speaking of TV, your other latest interests are the "old style mickey" shows which are 3-7 minute animated segments. You crack up at all the silliness that the characters encounter and recall them at random times like in the car or the dinner table, repeating the whole plot premise. You wind your sister up and the two of you laugh uncontrollably at your Donald Duck imitations or Goofy recollections. I love your little sense of humor.
Even when your humor is of the ball-busting, sarcastic kind it's cute, at least for now. The other night I was getting dinner plated when I heard you say to your sister at the table,
Hey! Am I shaped like a napkin? Do I look like a napkin to you? I asked what was going on and you informed me she tried to wipe her hand on your shirt.
Mom, what does she think I'm a napkin, trying to wipe her dirty hands on me? Wow, sounds just like something Daddy or I would say to you. I'm not sure how I feel about your dry sarcasm just yet but I'm glad you could make light of it instead of just whining that your sister was wiping something on you!
Of course, besides the sarcasm you have your never ending advice to help keep others out of trouble. One morning on the way to school you told me
Mommy it's foggy out put your headlights on. Because if the police don't see your car they'll give you a special ticket. Thanks buddy. Some of your advice is just downright strange-
When you slide down the branches of the tree your penis will hurt and itch and itch and itch. That's why you never climb trees. You told me that so matter-of-factly that I didn't even bother to ask where it came from!
Your imagination has been running wild over the past couple of months, and while it's great to see you make up games and turn the living room furniture into a pirate ship, it pains me to see your fears shining through. You've spent more nights than we can count refusing to go to bed or crawling into our bed late at night because of scary dreams and thoughts that people are going to come in your windows at night. Gobbles, you have to know that Daddy and I would never EVER let anything happen to you or anybody "get" you.
You said when you turned 4 you'd be ok with sleeping in your own bed every night, instead of making a "pattern" (one night in our bed, two in yours, our agreeable way of getting
some sleep). However, last night your fears took over again, and after you army-crawled down the steps, around through the dining room, and through the kitchen into the family room (cracking Daddy and I up in the process), we gave in and let you sleep over again. Most of your stubborn trials I'm able to resist, but having my own fear of the dark and studying your own genuine tears at the thought of going to sleep alone, I can only imagine what things you are creating in your head. This all started with a
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episode where the nemesis Mortimor was trying to shrink everyone. Your logical conclusion was that since Mickey used his words to reason with Mortimor it means he couldn't physically beat him, so he could still get you, unlike with Batman or Transformers when they defeat the enemy using brute force. I guess I can get that. Besides, I secretly don't mind snuggling with you while you sleep since most of your waking hugs and kisses are reserved for the dogs.
When you're not being fearful or stubborn or disobeying bedtime you are such a helpful big brother. Now that it's dark, every night when we get home I leave you guys in the house while I take the dogs out. You help your sister out of her coat and shoes and put them away while you wait for us to come back in. Sure, last night I had to rescue her from behind the chair in the family room because you convinced her to climb back and she couldn't get out, but your willingness to include her in your fun melts my heart. Every night when we process up the stairs to bed you yell
Lobster, hide! and the two of you run into your room and hide behind your bench, off on some mischievous mission before bath or story time.
Just this week, your sister's teachers were telling me about her class watching yours practice for the winter show. I asked if she liked watching you, and they said yes, but you liked singing to her even more. You sang, waved, smiled, and pointed to your little sister, and when your class was done you ran over, hugged her, and squeezed her hand. I'm so so proud to hear that you take care of her and show her love and affection when Daddy and I aren't around.
When we are around you still manage to take care of yourself and include your friends. The day before your party was your bff from school B's party. It was at the Helicopter Museum (which you kept referring to as the Aeronautical Museum, much to everyone's enjoyment) and all your pals from school were there. After running around and playing in all the copters, the museum man gathered you all in the room for a video and demonstration. A lot of your friends were playing with party blowers they had taken from the food table, but you sat politely and watched the video and helped the man do a helicopter puzzle. Of course you kept asking for a blower but I told you when it was time to eat you could have one. Instead of throwing a fit, you continued listening to the museum man go on and on about his beloved helicopters.
When he was done you ran to the party area to get a blower. After your pizza while everyone was milling around the cake you decided you were full and went back out to explore the helicopters some more, politely asking the museum man questions about every single control and knob you encountered. You even pointed out to him the fuel gauge when he couldn't find it. You made that poor man's day buddy, thinking about it now just makes me smile.
Finally came the day for your party, the day before your actual birthday. We had planned a smaller party this year, 5 of your friends and their siblings for a total of 12 kids in attendance for your chosen theme of
The Incredibles. Mommy and Daddy worked tirelessly the week before preparing food, baking the cake, and meticulously gathering and making the pieces to a scavenger hunt we planned - an adventure in the backyard following clues and ultimately ending with the pinata bashing and the defeat of the bad guy, Syndrome.
Unfortunately, the forecast of a dusting of snow turned into 8 inches, and as your party approached one by one people cancelled. You handled it much better than mommy did and had a blast with the two friends and your aunts, uncle, and grandparents that did show up. Only after the party was over did you ask again where everyone else was. I'm so sorry that you have a December birthday buddy, I really didn't plan it that way. I promise you that every year we will make your birthday special no matter what the weather or how many Christmas celebrations are being juggled.
Always remember how much your Daddy and I love you Mr. Gobbles. No matter what we will always be there for you. We love you so much and are proud of you every day!
Love,
Mommy
 |
| Nothing can stop this hair! |
 |
| The looks of birthdays past |
 |
But first - My pal B's party. Here's his card I signed. Mommy told me when I drew us that B is
bigger than me, but I said since it's my drawing I get to make myself bigger! |
 |
| Look at this, T! |
 |
| Ok, let's start the show! |
 |
| The rotor goes here! |
 |
| Pals! |
 |
| Getting the cake ready - beer helps icing anxiety! |
 |
| Ready with my birthday boy! |
 |
| Party time... where is everyone? |
 |
| All right - another clue to where the enemy could be! |
 |
| What super tools do we have here? |
 |
| Ah! These binoculors should help! |
 |
| Off to save the world. Or at least find the candy! |
 |
| Really mom, I am into this, but it's my serious hero face! |
 |
| Even Cannoli joins in to help find a clue in his dog food! |
 |
| Hiding clues by the exercise equipment? Last minute rearrangements for the weather are sometimes necessary! |
 |
| I am always ready! Anytime! |
 |
| We can't be too far! |
 |
| Oh Syndrome. There you are. And you've hidden our candy in your evil robot machine! |
 |
| My aunt makes the best pinatas! |
 |
| Take that! |
 |
| And that! |
 |
| And after some help from the big kids, take that again! |
 |
| A perfect hit! |
 |
| Let's all have some candy! |
 |
| Cheese! |
 |
| Singing with a snowy background... |
 |
| Huff and puff |
 |
| Neat cake topper, mom! |
 |
| More birthday smiles! |
 |
| Now let's bounce that energy away! |
 |
| I love my racetrack! |
 |
| C'mon moosh, let's open! |
 |
| That's right, I'm 4! |
 |
| These flashlights from the scavenger hunt are great! |
 |
| Now let's race these cars! |
 |
| Real birthday night - with leftover cupcakes from school! |
 |
| Whoo whoo! |
 |
| 4 years and laughing all the way |
No comments:
Post a Comment