Wednesday, November 27, 2013

That's my boy

A few weeks ago I drove Gobbles to his last soccer game of the season, in sub-40 degree weather.  Are you excited for your last game, buddy?  I asked.

No!  was his reply. I don't want this to be my last game, I want at least three or four more!

Hearing this, I felt bad for him, but part of me elated that he found something he loves to do, at least for now.  And I was even more proud that it's a hobby in which I still partake.  I assured him that he could play next season and that I would play with him any time he wanted. 

Now, I'm not trying to put him on a pedestal or create unreachable expectations for the future -I'm certainly not one of those moms who will live out my sports glory through my children, like I said before, I still play for myself- but my son is good.  At least in his peer group.  There was one kid on the team, a second child with an older brother, who was a complete phenom - scoring goal after goal and dribbling up the field with coordination that I could only dream of.  But, my Gobbles was the next one to control the ball.  He had at least 1 goal every game, sometimes 2, plus a few steals and runs down the field.

Each time he came out of the swarm of kids dribbling the ball towards the net, we cheered and clapped like it was a game-winner.  And the joy on his face as his coach gave him a high five was enough to make my weekend.

We started out the season not even being able to get him to wear his sports goggles (as required by his eye doctor), and we feared he would be behind with the limited peripheral vision they allow due to the magnitude of the prescription.  It didn't seem to matter, as our boy found a way.  On a team of kids he didn't know, most of whose parents were friendly with each other already, my guy made a little name for himself, and I couldn't be prouder.

The first day of soccer - kid doesn't even know what he's getting into!

Sure - we'll let the lobster in the picture...

First time dribbling

Just takin' a break!

Any closer to the coach and you're sitting on top of him!

All right!

Last game of the season... it's a little chilly for soccer.

Good thing i can play without taking my hands out of my pockets!


Mommy brought her good camera today to get me in the action!

Move over, Gobbles is comin' through!

Wow my legs are pasty!

Hey look - a plane!

i have no problem shoving a girl...

Here we go!

Hi, Mom!

And THAT's how it's done. Yup - daddy had the camera at this point and
didn't get a picture of me actually scoring...

Go, gobbles, Go!

Wow this is cool!

Proud guy with his medal

Oh - everyone gets a medal!

Attitude is everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment