It's that time of year again. That time when daycare becomes a cesspool of snot, barf, poop, and GERMS. From late winter through early spring, every year, my kids catch something that leads to them being out multiple days and we scratch our heads thinking,
what are we paying for again?
But, this year is different from any other. Why? Because of my (not so new- been here over 11 months already!) job with awesome people and an awesome boss. Gobbles was out 4 days the week before Easter with what turned out to be strep throat and I didn't have to miss one hour of work. With a combination of hanging out in my office and working from home, we managed to get through the week fine and I didn't miss a beat.
Today, the Lobster Roll woke up covered in poo, turns out she has a bit of a stomach bug and a bit of a raging fever. So we swung by her classroom to grab her nap mat when we dropped off Gobbles and off we went to work. She started her morning with a conference call where she brought up some interesting "oohs and ahhs" and jotted down notes. She has since been basically napping with a few minutes in between to say her hellos. Her fever's been waxing and waning and of course of the three bags of necessary kid crap I brought with me to work, I forgot Tylenol. Before I could even get upset, my boss says "well just let me know what you need and I'll run to the pharmacy and grab it."
I have never worked at a place like this - where people are supportive, kind,
and smart as hell. It's funny how not stressed out I can be with work, when I'm still using my brain, degree, and even some skills I didn't know I had. Sure, my decision make this move took my career off the fast track and placed it in a sort of holding pattern, but it works so well for me right now I sometimes feel like I have to pinch myself. This morning, with my daughter's sleepy head resting on my shoulder, my boss discussed how my article published in our March company newsletter had one of the largest open rates we've seen in awhile. Maybe I'm not as far off my career path as I thought?
Regardless, I'm just glad to be able to work from home, even more glad that I prefer coming into the office that my kids seem to fall asleep at just as easily as home.
 |
| Mommy - these crackers have no flavor! But I'll give you a week smile anyway. |
 |
| Here are my notes from this morning's meeting - I believe they're very helpful |
 |
| Alrighty, naptime |
 |
| Yea I think I'm more comfy with my head mashed into the wall... |
 |
| Look at all this junk you brought which I won't even play with |
 |
| Really, Mom? You edited to add me yelling at you about fishies? I suppose I'm feeling a bit better... |
 |
| And SEE - i DID play with some toys... for like a second :) |
 |
| De Ja Vu from 2 weeks ago - At least Gobbles got a movie! |
 |
| Something about that corner makes people verrry sleepy. |
 |
Someone felt better enough to have some chips on his sick day...
|
this is amazing. I hope to god my next venture is friendly bc I don think I can handle both.
ReplyDelete