Thursday, January 17, 2013

So that was Christmas

Every year I talk about Christmas in passing but never get to the point of a complete post. This year will be different! And not even a month late!  Our Christmas celebrations were early and often this year, the first year Gobbles actually understood who Santa is and my Lil Lobster Roll's first  Christmas.

It began of course with the decorating- the morning after our "romantic" family anniversary dinner we  went to Terrain again this year for our tree and they did not disappoint. Gobbles enjoyed walking around the yard, petting people's dogs (which I was so proud when he did what we taught him- approach the owner first and ask if you can pet), throwing rocks, and finally selecting a tree. The  Lobster was just taking it all in, grinning and laughing from all the sights and sounds. We got home and set up the tree, and began our tradition taken from my family of a kid putting the star on the top. Gobbles had a ball, but I'm sure he's gonna be pissed next year when he learns it's not his turn.

The next week, as I talked about in Gobbles' birthday post, we rode the Santa train!  Sometime during that week, we started baking.  And baking, and just kept baking.  And went to the kids' Christmas show, which although only 30 seconds long, it was very impressive, my Gobbles sang his heart out.   At the end of the week, we were lucky to be invited to the neighborhood Christmas party. It's a little step-ford-y how much they all hang out with each other and how well they all get along, but I like it and I want in ;). We showed up to the moonbounce place where it was and were completely overwhelmed with the amount of people and the amount of kids! We were the youngest couple there by about 5-10 years, but there were kids there down to Gobbles' age plus a few on their way, so the Lobster won't be the youngest! It was a lot of fun getting to know everyone and and learning the ins and outs of our 'hood.

And then came Christmas. The 4 days of Christmas I should say. The Saturday before the holiday was Christmas brunch at my parents' house, complete with presents galore for the kids. They got a good haul as I encouraged my family to get summer toys since they're both winter birthdays. So now we're set with a sandbox and wagon among other things.

The next day we traveled to the Poconos to visit hubs family. First up was Nana, Who loooves pajamas, and gets then for the kids whatever chance she gets. Then we hung out with my sister in law, brother in law, and niece. Gobbles helped make strawberry santas- a pintrest idea from sisinlaw, and the girls played and bugged their big bro/ cousin. After we had a lovely pizza hut dinner (classic mutual love), Nana went to work and hubs and brother in law went out. I went to bed with the lobster roll and gobbles, bc three was no way the kids were going to have a good nights sleep in a strange room at Nana's.

Next morning Christmas eve, we had breakfast with the Poozers and presents with them, followed by gift exchange over at hubs bff's aka the lobster roll's godfather/ dad of our godson. So to our kids it's aunt b and uncle b. Much easier! (to make it more incestuous, my sister's husband (gobbles' godfather) also bff's with uncle b, and is his other son's godfather! Whew!

Anyway, after a full morning of gifts and "family" we retired to Nana's for naps. After everyone got some shut eye (and I got some mimosas next door with sister in law), it was time to get ready for Christmas eve dinner at father in law's house. This was the lobster Roll's first time meeting a lot of the cousins, and he of course was charming as anything smiling and waving and eating in her lil bumbo seat.

During dinner, snow had begun to fall and was coming down pretty heavily. I'd been pushing hubs to leave earlier but it's hard to get all the family stuff in. We eventually packed up to trek home, and what should have been a 2 hour ride ended up being over 4, and yes, in order to keep the overtired uncomfortable children calm, I was wedged in between the two car seats in the backseat. First, we got stuck on the turnpike behind a bunch of snowplows that weren't letting anyone through. Then, we managed to blow a tire, thankfully after we'd gotten off the highway. Shortly before midnight we made it home, slipped the kids into bed, and helped Santa put out his gifts.

The next morning, the kids awoke to the joy of Christmas, and even though they'd had 3 prior days of gifts, I could still see the excitement in their eyes that Santa had come! Gobbles had finally gotten the telescope he wished for, which paired perfectly with the planetarium from his uncle b the day prior. He also got the batman toys he'd been after, although I haven't seen him touch them since, I fear that, even at 3, he really only wanted them to say he had them when his friend at school asked him. The Lobster Roll got her first "big" toy that is all her own- the little people Disney princess castle, naturally.

The rest of the day we spent as a family, going to church then going to my Aunt's house and hanging out with my big fat Italian family.  Somehow, Gobbles stayed in a good mood with no nap and the rough previous night, and the Lobster Roll was still meeting some family members for the first time, where she of course charmed everyone.  It's neat to hang out with my baby cousins, some of whose diapers I used to change, all grown up, in college or even finished.  It seems like it's come full circle when they are the ones cooing over my and my other cousins' kids.  I know my kids will never have the 28 first cousins that I was lucky enough to have, but they can still experience my giant family for years to come in all our craziness.

The days following Christmas were pretty quiet around our house, as the kids spent time with Grandma & Grandpa while hubs and I worked.  We had a little playdate with our old pals Lil Buddy and Mooshman the next weekend, though I only got about 2 pictures before the lights went out (I REALLY don't get why we always lose power when we're hosting friends!  regardless of the house!), but the kids still had fun playing by flashlight and running around like little nuts.

Our New Year's Eve was to be low key as well, with the Poozer family coming down for the night, but the Princess Poozers (my niece), had other plans.  After we had dinner, we put the kids to bed, but the poor lil girl could not get comfortable in the pack n play, so she ended up basically staying up until midnight with us.  We drearily toasted and hubs and I passed out pretty quickly, while my poor sister in law was worn out, rocking her toddler eventually to sleep.  She reminded me a lot of Gobbles and the way he just would not sleep sometimes, and felt a calm relief realizing that so far, the Lobster has been a dream Dreamer.  Even if she is an early bird.

And so that was Christmas.
one of the Christmas card attempts... FAIL!
Gobbles is perfecting the choke-hold

Ginger child!

Seriously mom?  I think these are for dogs?

Cannoli - move!
Thanks mom & dad for choosing a kid-friendly anniversary dinner this year.  We know we keep things romantic for you!
And by romantic we mean chewing on our placemats and cracking up about it!

This one looks nice!

Rocks and puppies - this is like Christmas!
 

High in the sky!

I helped decorate by taking all the ornaments out of the box


Let's go for a ride!
Mom - it's the WINTER SHOW.  not the CHRISTMAS show!
 
Penguins penguins, snow... anything nondenominational!

Mmmm! Icing and sprinkles!

When it's time to decorate cookies at home I'm an expert now - check these sprinkles mom!

Oatmeal craisin

Mrs. Cook's cookies.  Who the eff is that?

YUM more sprinkles!

And a few chocolate chip!
Seriously?  All those pictures of cookies and I get a puff?

Allright Gobbles, on the count of three - lift!

Listen to the band!

Love my annual Hess gift!

When the ponytails come out I totally look like ace ventura!

Seriously - a little help with the hair?

Much better - now let's get to the gifts!

I've got this present thing down!
Thanks nana for letting me bring my dog!

Squeeze the whipped cream, then eat!

Let's go Poozers - let's bust this joint!

We are not twins, but you guys aren't going to stop with these outfits are ya?

Very concerned children

What did these girls do to me?

Hahaha let the chaos ensue!

Love my bow!

My parents are his Godparents, his dad is my Godfather, and my brother's Godfather is the other one's Godfather.  WHAT???

Pretty with our bows!

Gigi loves us - we're no trouble!

Santa came, a nice simple christmas!

And he left these dollar store hats that the dog chewed!

I love my brother's gift the best!

I won't lie, I feel like a princess in this dress!

Telescope - score!
 
Mommy - you talked all about Christmas break - but not about the snow!

My first time sledding and I LOVE it!

C'mon lobster, let's go!

Snowman break! MWAAA!

Peek a Boo!  Happy New Year!

New year's kiss.  Or shoulder chew.

My girl!
 

2 comments: