Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Resolve

To do better.  To try harder.  To live life to the fullest.  To make my family the happiest they can be.

2012 was probably most stressful, most complicated, most eventful year of my life.  New baby, new job (for me), we sold a house, bought a house, and are finally trying to settle in and just enjoy all of these things in 2013.  Hubs requested no life changes for the next 12 months, and my tired old self is feeling very inclined to agree with him.  We will relax and enjoy all of the blessings we have been given, because time is going by way to fast.

When I worked for a large company, we had so many strict rules with our annual reviews and goals.  They HAD to be specific in that these goals were quantitative and measurable.  In order for me to actually meet my new years resolutions, I think I need to do just that.  Maybe I'll do a 6 month review in July to see how I'm doing. So, here goes, in no particular order:

Short Term Goals (to be completed by the end of January):

1) Blogging:  Finish 3 of the drafts that are in my Post List, and complete two new posts.  This current post does not count.  If in order to achieve this I do posts without pictures it doesn't matter, just post the darn thoughts before they're outdated and irrelevant.  As the Lil Lobster Roll is getting bigger, I keep looking back at Gobbles' posts from that age for comparison and reminders.  It makes me so happy that I documented a lot of his milestones because I wouldn't remember otherwise.  I owe the same to my baby girl.
2) Home:  Get the basement set up and in order.  In order means able to exercise down there in the morning and host a party that afternoon.  Anything not "unpacked" will be sorted and stored properly.  After the boxes in the basement are done, we will have opened up every box that moved with us and made some kind of decision about its contents and I'll have the ability to say we are officially complete with unpacking.  Also, install permanent miniblinds in the hall bathroom and our bedroom.
3) Health: Get back to it with weight watchers - start tracking again on the 7th and hit a meeting by the 15th.  Make it to two meetings before the month is over and stay for the duration of each.  Exercise in some form at least 2x a week for this month.  Yes I'm setting the bar low considering I haven't worked out a single muscle since August.  No more weeknight beer after the 7th and wine is limited to 4oz / night at the most. 
4) Family:  Keep the momentum of this family high I have going throughout the month of January.  We spent so much time with our kiddos over their break (we alternated working, but they just went back to school today), that I've felt more settled and happy than ever.  The kids are starting swim lessons on Saturday morning so there's at least an hour each week of structured family time.  Church is another that I'm trying to convince hubs to follow through with after the holidays are over.


Long term Goals (over 2013):

1) Blogging:  5 Posts every two months.  3 with pictures.  This is beyond doable and there aren't any more excuses.
2) Home:  Cut down the birch that's too close to the house and the pine back by the fence.  Stain the swingset.  Paint the dining room.  Get curtains for the kitchen, master bedroom, and hall bath.  Buy a grill.
3) Health:  Continue attending weight watchers meetings even beyond when I get back to goal.  That's where I always slip up - hit goal then eat my face off.  2 meetings / month all year.  No excuses.  Dye my hair, for the first time ever.
4) Family:  1 date night per month with hubs.  Even if it's a night in without the kiddos, we need to take time for our relationship too.  Schedule at least 1 activity per weekend as a family, as small as a dog walk or as big as a trip to the zoo (especially with our new membership - thanks mom!).  Now that the stress of moving is behind us we don't need to sit inside and play all weekend.
5) Friends: Attend at least 2 social engagements per month to see my girls. This can be as simple as a playdate or worktime lunch or as big as a party.
6) Neighborhood:  Accept at least 4 social invitations this year to participate in neighborhood activities.  I'm loving our little stepford neighborhood and the Christmas party, although odd because we knew nobody, turned out to be a lot of fun.  This will benefit Gobbles and the Lobster Roll in the long run to have friends within walking distance of the house.
7) Finances:  Begin rebuilding a healthy savings again after the home downpayment took most of it as well as establish regular substantial contributions to the kids' college funds.  Pay off my car and hubs' student loans.  Use a budget program to track our spending and limit our "fun" money until daycare costs get lower or we win the lottery. 
8) Parenting:  Foster relationships for Gobbles that he wishes to pursue.  If there is a kid in his class he wants to invite over, let him.  Accept invitations from his classmates (which we've been good at doing so far, just need to keep up).  Establish more Lobster Roll / Momma time, or at least more age appropriate activities for her so that she isn't watching her brother develop and trying to keep up with things beyond her grasp.  At least 1 hour a day on nonwork days, the fun will be geared towards a 12-24 month old, not a 3 year old.  The rest of the time I'm sure she'll be very content following her big brother around, her current little role model.
9) Happiness:  Gratitude, once a day, every day.  No need to publish, but during my drive or before bed, just take a minute and be thankful and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment