Tuesday, January 8, 2013

37 Months. Aka THREE fashionably late...

Tic Toc on the clock but the party don't stop, no
- Gobbles' lady of the moment.... KeSha

Dear Mr. Gobbles,

Well buddy, this has been a big year for you. Your world was turned upside down at the arrival of your baby sister, and again when we left the only home you've ever known. You transitioned from the toddler room downstairs at school to upstairs at preschool with the big kids. You're potty trained, you rode a train, and you trained the dogs to listen to you when you feed them- your first ever steady chore. 

Gobbles you are growing up so quickly in front if my misty momma eyes, every day something new comes out of your mouth that I cannot believe. Most of the time you are a kind, empathetic, affectionate little boy. A bit bossy, but always making sure everybody wins out in a given scenario. There is peace in your little Gobbles world as long as everything goes how you think it should.  On the other hand, when your routine is disrupted, or when you are not in control of a situation, a conflict arises in your head and usually comes out by way of tantrum, tears, or pure defiance.   I often see exactly when the turning point is in your head when things aren't going your way and you get upset. Trust me buddy, it's hard, I know. You are your momma thru and thru. I am here for you anytime you need, but since mommy is still working on getting ahold of herself in stressful times, it seems we both know that daddy is a much more calming influence to seek.

Gobbles, not to worry, you have picked up on what I consider some of my good traits too. Your overwhelming need to make sure everyone around you is having as much fun as you and your desire to be social are so cute to watch. The other day as we were gathering your sister from the baby room at school, I cracked up as I hear you chatting with a classmate "Diana to you want to come to my house? I have two trucks that we can play with in my sunporch?". This just a few days after you invited Michael home to play on the swingset.  Your grandmother can't get over how excited you were to hand out the goodie bags at your birthday party as the guests were leaving "oh thank you for coming! Here this is for you!" You even gave one to your pop... Not sure what he'd do with an air rocket or a parachute man, but we had extras so it was ok.

Oh yea, another trait of mine you seem to have grabbed - my taste in crap-tacular music.  Now, I enjoy good, quality music too, but more so when I'm on my own.  When I'm driving with you and your sister, or running, or dancing around the house, I'm usually singing whatever top-40 pop superhit is in my head.  Lately you've gleaned to Rihanna and Ke$ha, but still hold tight to Enrique.  Then suddenly, I guess somewhere (school?) you picked up some likes of your own not influenced by me in the least.  One night, the TV was on in the background the sounds of Taylor Swift floated into the room.  Your eyes light up and you exclaim Oh Mom!  It's We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together!  We love that one!  I look at you and respond - "who loves that? did you hear it with Daddy?" because I'd never played that song for you since I don't like her.  You go I like it! and start singing along.  I asked your father later and our only guess is that you heard it at school or something, because he doesn't remember playing it for you either.  I cannot believe that you're at the point where your forming your own opinions about things without our influence.  You're so big buddy - first step Taylor Swift, next step a college on the west coast (oh dear God I hope not!).

Anyway back to your party, you had a heck of a time at your big Oh-Three bash this year.  You had friends from all sides - school, momma's friend's kids, daddy's friend's kids, and family.  You decided to bounce it up at a local moon bounce party place, similar to some of your friends from school.  I made a giant cake with Rocket from Little Einsteins (your favorite) on it that you're still talking about (and I am too, it looked pretty good for a first-time caker).  The party was a wonderful blur and you were opening presents for days afterwards.  But the most important part is that you were so happy you kept asking if you could go back, and the fact that you had fun was all that mattered to us.

On your actual birthday, we took a ride on the Santa train - a nice way to transition your December birthday right into Christmas time.  You gripped my hand as the train pulled out of the station - Here we go mom! And we discussed the scenery the whole was.  You weren't scared of Santa at all when it was your turn to sit with him, probably because you HAD make sure to tell him what you wanted, and you were so excited about the train that you hadn't time to be scared.  Besides, you have enough fears with dinosaurs and such that some freak in a white beard who watches your every move day and night shouldn't freak you out at all.

So, we've discussed your personality, your fears, your faves, but I don't even know where to start when I get into your intellect.  You are so incredibly smart.  Or maybe you're just growing to quickly for my liking.  You can spell and write your name.  You can identify what letter a word starts with by the way it sounds.  And you have these simple problem solving skills that boggle my mind.  For show and tell, on J week, we couldn't find anything we had starting with J that you could bring in.  So you said you could bring in your magnadoodle.  When I told you that it began with an M you responded I know mom, but I could bring the magnadoodle and DRAW a J on it! (basically in a DUH tone of voice). 

You have a wild imagination too, complete with nighttime phobias.  One night, you told Daddy you didn't want to go to sleep because of that little man that sneaks in your room to steal your glasses.  The next night you got a little braver and told me that if anyone came in to steal your glasses you'd throw your teddy bear at them.  Besides being imaginative, you have a way of telling things just like they are.  Mommy, we stacked the stackers as tall as we could, but I'm not that tall.   Or.   We got in trouble because Aiden and Carter weren't listening - They weren't listening? - Nope, all 3 of us weren't listening.

And finally, your interest in math and science makes me sure (well not 100% sure, but I've got a feeling, Daddy too) that you're going to go into something technical.  Maybe an engineer like Mommy?  Right now you're on a space kick, you want to be an astronaut, and even requested a telescope for Christmas just so you can see Mars.  If not either of those, than you could likely be an accountant.  You're already figuring out how to crunch the numbers, adding and subtracting m&ms or figuring out how many more times we have left after using up 3 of 9 hugs.  And yes, it's up to 9 hugs now when I drop you off, because you know 9 is bigger than 5, what you used to be getting (and granted, you did ask for 20, but I have to draw the line somewhere, as much as I love hugging you).

Well buddy, this letter was a month in the making, my apologies if it seems a bit choppy, but I need to cut it off at some point.  I love you soo soo much Mr. Gobbles.  Happy 3rd Birthday!

Love,
Mommy
Wow Mom, you left put my name on the internetz.  Yes Gobbles, I'm so proud of your cake that it appears I did.  But it's really not searchable within the image so only the 5 people who read this who already know your name anyway would know!

Happy Lil Birthday Crew! (minus a half dozen already lining up for pizza!)
Make a wish!
Don't forget meeeee!
Here Lobstah!  Let's play with my new road mat!
Awww Birthday hugs from my Spoonsie Bear!


I know I already feed the dogs, but if you need me to take them out, I think the flashlight fits!
Wow!  Twice in one post, Mom?  Getting brazen!  I guess that's what blogging everything a month late does to you!


On our way to the SANTA TRAIN!
'Scuse me lobstah!  We are movin on out!
Thanks mr. conductor for your hat!  Tickets please?

Cheeese!  What a great Birthday, ok santa, now onto Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment