Friday, December 3, 2010

Don't think I can fit this all in a card...

I came here with a load
And it feels so much lighter, now I've met you
And honey you should know,
That I could never go on without you
- Coldplay, Green Eyes
Dear Hubs,

Five years ago we kicked off the evening sashaying around to the lyrics above, having the time of our lives.  Well maybe this exact moment wasn't the time of your life considering you were dancing - which you are not a fan of - with 150 people watching you (and you hate being the center of attention), but you did it anyway.  For me.  Your first duty as a husband was do something you're not so comfortable doing because it's something I love - dancing.  Now, you've spent a great deal of time since then making fun of my lack of rhythm and the way I just hop around and point my finger, but somehow you'll still be seen with me at the end of the night.  And this is just one of the many reasons I love you.

I remember back when we were engaged the priest asked, "Why are you two getting married?".  My answer was and still is the same - we fit.  Like puzzle pieces.  There are some parts where we are completely flush and are exactly alike, and the others where your zig is the perfect compliment to my zag.  And over the years there have been areas where we started off different but have grown completely in sync.

To this day, I cannot believe I married someone who does not like cheese, one of my favorite foods.  Someone who drinks soda at all meals, when one sip gives me the hiccups.  Someone who prefers cartoons or the history channel to my reality trash tv.  Someone who would rather spend the day watching movies than playing outside.  Someone who prefers the mountains to the beach, oh how I love the beach.  Someone who laments exercising when I'm always looking for a running partner.  Someone who could sleep until noon when I'm up at the crack of dawn (I still remember laying beside you in the twin bed in the dorms on Saturday mornings, having been up for hours thinking "when is he going to wake up?" trying ever so subtly to shove you so you'd wake up 'on your own' and we could get breakfast). Someone who knows when to keep quiet while anything that pops into my head leaks out of my mouth like a sieve.  Someone who isn't bothered by anyone else, meanwhile I'm always searching for scoop, trying to find out what others are thinking and why.  But, like I mentioned above, these opposites we have manage to compliment each other.  Despite these differences, you love me for who I am!

Besides, on the other hand, I never thought in a million years I would find someone who is so much like me.

Just recently, in planning our 4th trip together to Disney world (I cannot wait to leave tomorrow!), we actually compiled several versions of the clipboard of fun.  And we didn't think anything of it.  Most families don't even have one set plan, and we came up with contingencies.  Who does that?  We are both so anal about our travelling and itineraries that we were able to see all of Rome and Vatican City in 2 days! 

And though we love to travel, we are severe germaphobes about hotels and planes... yet neither one of us seem to be bothered when our dog, who sometimes eats poo, licks us in the face.  There's something wrong with that, and I'm glad to have someone on my side in that area.

Finally, I didn't think I ever could have found anyone else in this world who won't hesitate to drop hundreds of dollars on a good meal, but won't spend more than a few bucks on an article of clothing because, well we already have clothes... who cares if they're ten years old.  Hubs, because we are the same in this, you make me feel completely secure in my food and beer snobbery slash fashion incompetence.  Thank you.

I am so lucky to be married to you, my perfect match.  Sometimes it seems like the wedding was yesterday, but then I think of everything we've been through and realize that we have both grown up so much, together, since then.  We've had our moments of tears and yelling, as every healthy marriage does, but that all fades to the background when I reflect on the amazing places we've seen together, our collection of non-human family members, our quiet moments grilling in the backyard, and the most important accomplishment in our lives, our baby Gobbles.

The thing I love the most about our son is that he looks exactly like you.  Every day he's becoming more and more like you and I couldn't be prouder.  My favorite thing to do is wake him up for daycare in the morning because he is a mini-me version of you, stretching and sighing and turning over to go back to sleep.  I find it so adorable and hysterical at the same time.  You are a great father and he loves you so much - I could watch you two play together all day.  I know if our little boy grows up to be exactly like you then we have succeeded. 

Thank you Sweets for being the best husband ever.  Happy Anniversary, I love you. 

Five years down, another Seventy or so to go :)

3 comments:

  1. You guys are so blessed- I cant believe its been 5 years!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about daddies and their babies (and of course their wives/mommies.) So sweet.

    Cheers to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - congrats to you on five years! Such an accomplishment these days.

    ReplyDelete