Wednesday, December 15, 2010

ONE YEAR!!!

Five hundred twenty five thousand
six hundred minutes,
Five hundred twenty five thousand
moments so dear.
Five hundred twenty five thousand
six hundred minutes.
How do you measure, measure a year?
- Jonathan Larson

Dear Mr. Gobbles,

Happy Birthday Son!!  I'm finding it hard to put together the right words to express how overwrought with emotion I am for this occasion.  Which is one of the reasons this post is almost a week late.  The next few lines from the song above question whether a year should be measured in sunsets, laughter, or miles, then go on to say that it should be measured in love.  Seasons of love.  A beautiful concept, if we were able to grasp the immeasurable amount of love your Daddy and I have felt for you over the past year.  But, I cannot even begin to put a number or comparison on how much you mean to us. 

A year ago, when the doctors placed your tiny bundle in my arms for the first time, I officially became a Mommy.  I didn't think the warmth and adoration that I felt for you could be any greater than that moment.  Guess what?  I am wrong sometimes (I know, hard to believe, right?  But it does happen on rare occasions).  Somehow over the past year you turned your tough mama into an old softie.  Every minute of the five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred that you've been alive, my love for you has grown exponentially more than the last.  You are the world to your Daddy and me and we work hard every day with hopes that you'll be the happiest little boy in the world.

Ok, I'll ease up on the mush now, especially since you may read this someday, I don't want to embarrass you Gobbles.

It has been amazing to witness your evolution from teeny helpless 9 lb 3 oz, 21 inch baby to 25 lb, 30 inch walking little toddler.  All of the sudden in the two weeks since you've been walking you're a pro on your feet.  You still hold your hands out for balance so we call you frankenstien - and you play the part perfectly by yelling like a little monster as you toddle around.  You've almost perfected climbing up on the bed from the ottoman at the foot (aka Spoonsie's second bed), but you only try to get up there when there's a puppy you want to kiss.  Speaking of puppy kisses, you know exactly what their mouths are for and approach Cannoli all the time with your mouth open Ahhhhhhhhh waiting for him to lick you in the face before you explode into laughter. 

Your favorite word is Dada, followed closely by Giggle (or wiggle, they're pretty interchangeble).  Mama is still reserved for when you need something, or are whining, which is fine for now but don't make it a habit.  You're still working on dog (Gog) and duck (duh!), but it really doesn't matter how much you can verbalize, because you still let everyone know what you want with your hands.  You let us know when you're finished eating with the all done sign, and you can wave, but usually only to kids.  You play peekaboo, but don't completely cover your eyes, which are always smiling out between your fingers.  When you want your paci you smack your mouth like a little Indian, even making the noise wahwahwahwoah.

But Gobbles, my two favorites of your little tricks is your clap and your dance.  You are the best little clapper I know.  You will clap at anything, anywhere, to let us know you are having fun.  You clap when you hear a song you like in the car, or when you see a familiar face, or when the puppies fetch for you.  The other night at Grandmas you led the whole family in many rounds of applause, cheering as we followed your lead from slow clap to fast.  You clap while you dance.  It looks like you have your Momma's enthusiasm for music and your Grandpa's rhythm.  You start to sway as soon as you hear music, just rocking your shoulders back and forth.  Even if a commercial comes on with a tune, you're movin to the beat.  My little entertainer.

As much fun as you are, I need to warn you to be careful little boy, that you don't develop your Momma's temper.  If you don't get what you want a large pout will spread across your lower lip and you'll let out this slow whine that can quickly turn into a high pitched wail if we don't attend to you.  We'll work on this together, because right now I can't resist just picking you up and hugging you every time you do this - you're just so snuggly!

You're also quite the little charmer, as I was told this morning dropping you off at daycare.  There are a few new girls in your class and the teacher told me you were being a little flirt with them yesterday!  I was not so surprised, since that night last week on the disney bus.  We were all weary after a long day at Animal Kingdom, it was getting dark and everyone was pretty quiet.  We boarded the bus to our hotel and you, your Aunt, and I sat in front of a little girl, about 9 or 10.  You got a burst of energy and started making eyes at her, so she began asking about you, name, age, etc.  Then you started clapping, shaking your head "no", and jumping up and down on my lap playing peekabo with her, being a bit of a ham as you tend to be sometimes.  She started imitating you and you began to laugh.  You giggled for so hard and so long that you got the hiccups and you still wouldn't stop.  The loudest belly laughs I've ever heard you make were directed at this little girl.  Everyone around us was smiling at the interaction you two were having.  Pretty soon her stop came, we thanked her for keeping you entertaind, she got into her wheelchair (that we hadn't even noticed), and headed off the bus with her parents.  You got a small look of panic on your face, turned to the window and banged on it.  She looked up a smiled, yelling Goodbye Gobbles.  I know you made her night, and she made ours, because it made me realize again that all I care about is your happiness.  And if that little girl could bring you so much joy for a half hour just by shaking her head and laughing with you, then I know you're on the right track.

Well son, it looks like I'm starting to get sentimental again, so before Mommy gets carried away again I'll wish you happy birthday one more time and get the photos ready.  I love you so much little boy!

Love,
Momma

ps.  I'll save the majority of the Disney pics for some future posts, instead we'll just peek at those specific to your birthday celebration, including brunch at the Crystal Palace (character pics to come later), your FIRST haircut (I know, I know, what hair? there was enough for Mommy to save a few strands - and now you don't have a rat tail), and the party with your Grandma, Grandpa, Aunts, and Uncle after we got back!

Love my sweatshirt from my Aunt & Uncle!!

This place is like a fairy tale - thanks for taking me Mommy and Daddy!!

Ohhhh!  Look at that light!  I can't believe Winnie the Pooh brought that over just for me!

I think I like the sprinkles best!

Unexpectedly shy about making a mess on myself!

First this lady covers me in stickers, then takes scissors to my head!  What the heck is going on here???

Wow this thing sticks to me!  Ah mommy look at your arm - that's why my little back is so hairy!

Seriously lady, don't bother me, I'm busy here.

Well Mommy, with two hours and no cake pan or icing tip, it's ....nice.  I heard Daddy say it's certainly not bad enough to be on that cake disasters website...

But why did Grandma stab him in the forehead???

Less shy about making a mess now - because I'm at Grandma's of course!  And because Mommy said the black food coloring is hard to wipe off...

Yay for PRESENTS!  And yay for a Mickey Card!  The next day in the mailbox I found two more Mickey cards - everyone knows I love Mickey - thank you for a wonderful birthday everybody!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh! this had me sobbing. Happy Birthday Gobbles! Cant wait to see your Disney pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE his little haircut. Looks like such a gentleman.

    Congrats, mama.

    ReplyDelete