Tuesday, November 30, 2010

a little late, but just as thankful

Good things. Good things are happening all around me - to my friends, family, and myself. Some are extreme, life-changing milestones and others are just everyday little blessings that may not look like much but they mean a lot to me. Despite having four days off to relax, I really didn't stop to smell the roses until late last night. Hence the late late thanksgiving post!

In the rush of chaos that has come to be my life, the one thing I know I need to mash into my schedule is to just stop. Stop and look around - take it all in, because this is it, so I might as well enjoy it! I have so much to be thankful for this year. While most people are already getting to their Christmas wishlists, I still need to be completely cliche appreciative and do my Thanksgiving thank you list. A fulfilled wish list, if you will.

- Mr. Gobbles. My little boy appropriately hit a major milestone on a holiday I declared to be his all those months ago. After spending last year's holiday pouting about how miserable I was that my baby was taking his time, my chunky little turkey redeemed himself tenfold by walking, even strutting around the living room on his first Thanksgiving. Sure, he hammed it up a bit by doing it in front of both sets of grandparents, all of his aunts, and both uncles, but I'm still proud of my little showoff. And on the days he's not making major breakthroughs in development, he's still making me the happiest mom on the planet. I am eternally grateful that we have been blessed with such a happy, healthy, handsome little guy.

- Hubs. Not only did my husband spend last Wednesday, his vacation day, ticking off the last of my Thanksgiving prep to do list (including cleaning bathrooms, brushing dogs, and cutting vegetables), but he also has put up with me and shouldered my stress that I dump on him day in and day out throughout my working mom journey. Without his support, I know I would crumble under the challenges I face every day at work, at home, and at play. I'm so thankful for him and everything he does for me.

- Family. By blood and through marriage, I have a wonderful supportive family, who embrace me for who I am... I hope.  They all love Gobbles so much and treat him like the crown prince. I sometimes feel guilty for the overwhelming amount of love, attention, and gifts that are showered upon this little man, hoping that I can someday return it to his cousins and siblings.

- Friends. I consider myself very lucky to be able call on my girls about anything, no matter the time passed since our last visit. I always fear that in time we may grow apart, but so far every one of you has proven me wrong. Every day, each one of us is dealing with her own life, her own pressures, or her own milestones. It is a privilege that I get to share in your joys, be a part of your journeys, or just be a sounding board for some venting that you need to get off your chest.  For you ladies I am thankful, and you know who you are.

- Health, Food, & Good fortune. I know I take for granted the fact that my family is healthy.  That we have jobs (optimistic that hubs will find one before his tenure at current company ends in April).  That we have a decent little home in a friendly neighborhood with a yard to mow and puppies to play in it.  That we have food on the table and beer in the fridge (I can be thankful for alcohol... right??).  That we are happy with our lives and still find time to curl up on the couch together for a moment or two on the weekends.  When I complain about everything going on around me I need to stop and express appreciation for these things.  The things you don't notice unless they're gone.  That's what matters the most.

- Completely random shit.  Thank you weight watchers for helping me make goal the weekend before thanksgiving!  Now just 6 weeks of maintenance through the holiday season until I can call myself a lifetime member!  Thank you Walt Disney for creating the happiest place on earth because I cannot wait to come for a visit in a few days!  Thank you Amazon.com for my free prime trial, because I now buy everything cheaply and on short notice!  Thank you B101 for starting Christmas music before Thanksgiving this year - it got me into the holiday spirit extra early!  Thank you indoor soccer facility for renovating so you don't smell like a foot anymore!   Thank you Kohl's for my 30% off coupon!  Thank you yahoo local for allowing comments on the Philly daily news and Delco times articles - it's always a self-confidence booster to read what these crazy people have to say!   Thank you, bacon, for keeping my Thanksgiving turkey oh so moist while it roasted, and for adding that extra little touch of yums!

And, thank you, reader, if you're still here.  As a token of my appreciation, please enjoy some Thanksgiving pictures of my son:

It says "Grandma makes the best turkey", but really, it's my momma!
 
Wanna see me walk?  OK!

YAY! I'll entertain an audience anytime!

The puppies put their noses on the window, why can't I?

My first Thanksgiving, but SHOULDA BEEN MY SECOND!

See ya!

2 comments: