Friday, September 24, 2010

The Littlest Groomsman

Last weekend, Gobbles experienced a few firsts. His first stay at a bed & breakfast. His first piece of spaghetti - which, along with all of his french fries, ended up on the floor of the rehearsal dinner restaurant. (don't worry, I cleaned them all up so the poor waitstaff wouldn't have to). And finally, his first duties as a member of a wedding party. Including first tuxedo with first teeny tiny clip on tie.

I was in my first wedding at the age of 25, the blushing bride. My little man was in his first wedding at 9 months, officially named in the program as an Honorary Usher. We are packing this boy so full of life experiences that he's going to be out of firsts by the time he can actually retain a memory. Seriously - I don't think I've mentioned this one before- first kiss? Check. Unfortunately we'll never know who it was with since it happened at daycare, the kiss turned into a bite, and we had to sign an incident report over this whole thing. I just wanted to know my son's first kiss (and if it was with a boy or a girl??), but the daycare keeps the biter anonymous for fear of retribution. They're infants for chrissake! Of course they're going to bite, who cares? What is wrong with people that things have come to this?

Ok, BIG tangent. Sorry.  Sleep has not been prevalent this week.

Back to the wedding. My Sister-in-Law, godmother of Gobbles, had envisioned a wedding in the backyard of a cozy mansion long before she met her husband. It was amazing to see her vision come to life on such a picture perfect day. Everything was beautiful, the weather, the location, all the personal touches, and of course the bride herself. Sure, the groom looked good too, but I'm sure no one took notice of his cuticles even though he'd had a bride-directed mani! (love you lady :). Everything had come together so well that my paranoia of it being ruined by a screaming baby was at an all time high.

Months ago, when Gobbles was asked to be a part of the wedding party alongside his parents, I was enthused, but also confused. a BABY in a wedding? THAT's ridiculous. my mom's voice echoed in my head. See, our big fat Italian family does things a little differently. The family is to big to include everyone in a wedding, so there has always been a cutoff age - no cousins under x are invited. A lot of people make the cutoff as 21. I pushed and pushed for my wedding and got a cutoff of 11? And looking at budgets for children's menus, etc, I really think this cutoff is because people just would rather get wasted and dance then have to worry about their children.
Anyway, I was excited to have Gobbles included, especially because sister in law was so happy to "be able to throw him up and down just like her dad threw her as a child at her uncle's wedding". Haha, so cute! As we got closer to the wedding date, and Gobbles clinginess increased, I began to get worried again. How is he going to act when he escorts mother-in-law up the aisle? Will he scream and try to find me? Will he poop himself? What about during the reception - will he fuss the whole time? Try to crawl away?
Somehow, the stars were aligned, and to go with the picture perfect day, I had a model citizen of a son.

Ok, maybe not a model citizen - the jacket for the tux never made it on because the fight he put up just wasn't worth the polished look. It's ok, the relaxed "hey ladies!" look suited him much better. And the wedding itself? We were ready to play pass the baby during the short ceremony, just in case, but instead he slept. The whole time. Up the aisle, down the aisle, and through most of the family pictures. He woke up in time for the party to start with a smile on his face.

He made it through dinner without incident, thanks to my mother who played grabby grandma and took him away while the head table ate. Well babies at weddings are ridiculous. I stand by my word. don't be asking ME for help with him there. Tell her if she changes her mind I'll just skip the wedding and stay home with him. Boy does my mother change her tune when she realizes things are not the end of the world!

Anyway, since the tent was outside and our room inside the bed & breakfast was just a few flights of stairs away, diaper changing, taking a walk around the grounds in the stroller, etc were easy to do when it seemed like Gobbles was getting uneasy.  Half of the guests spent time outside on the many patios, so we mingled inside and out, keeping the scene new and different so the little man wouldn't get antsy.  We weren't able to pass him around like a hot potato like we originally thought since he was super clingy, but he still got his time with both his grandmothers as well as a few minutes with hubs' aunts, cousins and grandma before straining to jump back into my arms.

Somehow, the little guy was still awake and raring to go around 9 or so.  We were chilling outside the tent when we heard one of Gobbles' favorite songs, I Like It by Enrique Iglesias.  I scooped him up and we ran out to the dance floor.  As I swung him around a smile spread across his face and a small crowd circled around us.  With every "Baby I LIKE it", I heaved him high above my head and giggles exploded out of his little mouth.  Overstimulation?  Maybe.  But it provided for a priceless memory of my little man and I, which I can't help but smile about every time I replay it in my head.

The rest of the wedding was a blast, husband retired Gobbles quietly to the back patio away from the music while I tore up the dance floor.  This was probably hubs' favorite wedding ever because he actually had an excuse to not be out there dancing, which is about as fun for him as a root canal.  (and I married this man knowing this!)

Things will calm down for Gobbles for the next few months, but before long, another big first for him will be upon us - his first plane ride (mine was at age 18, his will be at 11 months, 25 days), his first birthday, and his first of many trips to see the big mouse.  Until then, he will just be a kid for awhile :)

Well Hell-OOO ladies!
 
C'mon, where's-a my pastaaa?

I'm Hungry - Let's go EAT!

Shout aloud screaming loud - Let me hear you go - Baby I LIKE IT!

Don't Stop Baby Don't Stop Baby!  Just keep on Shakin Along!

Mommy - UP again.  'Cause we're never getting OLD!

HEEEEYYYYYY!  Where'sa everyone-A goin??
OK - too many pictures - Let's go!

2 comments:

  1. These pics/captions just made my night! My irish weekend free night btw :) I know you feel my pain. But way to go Gobbles! I think babies know when you're freaking out that they're gonna behave badly and go and act all awesome just to spite you. Damn spiteful babies! ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. So handsome in the tux! Dude- you were missed both at Oktoberfest and Irish Weekend.

    Both were awesome, but not nearly as awesome as Gobbles.

    ReplyDelete