This was written last week during one of my insomnia nights worrying about my
Dear Gobbles,
We are less than a week before first grade begins and I'm alternating between excitement and tears at the thought of you growing up and hitting the school on your own. Kindergarten was a nice transition in that I didn't see your teacher every day anyway since you took the van, but I still got my Friday face time with her just to see how you were. But this will be so much different, this is the big time.
Your kindergarten graduation was so emotional for me, I think because we've spent 6 years with some of these families, our village, and we've all helped each other through crazy times. I'm lucky that some will stick around at least through your sister leaving pre-k with the siblings, but at the same time so sad that the relationships will change from daily interactions.
You, however, rocked your Kindergarten year and the graduation. You learned to read and went beyond in math. You stuck tight with your buddies but even branched out to some new friends, and came out of school with a confidence that only 5th year seniors have. You've done your summer reading, but for that pesky paragraph you have to write, probably more mommy's procrastination than yours. Even your reading comprehension is coming along- we're halfway through the 2nd Harry Potter book and each time we pick it back up you are able to recall the pertinent details of the previous chapter. You also try to make predictions on what's going to happen and explain why. Since we know the spoilers Daddy and I just let you go with your theories until they're revealed in the reading.
This summer I've seen your transition from a little boy into a big boy. You help out with your chores (although sometimes begrudgingly), you fly across the monkey bars with the ease of a ninja, and you have free reign at the pool to swim, dive, tread, do anything you want and I am confident that you are totally fine. You keep reminding you that one time I mentioned you should get an allowance when you start first grade. You've started watching Big Brother with me and actually pay attention to what is going on and who is "on the block" (I'm so sorry for dragging you into the dark side of reality t.v.). And speaking of the dark side, you're not phased by and of the horrors in and Star Wars, actually cheer when Kylo Ren kills Han Solo (should I be worried?), and for the 2nd Halloween in a row want to be a bad guy with a lightsaber.
Last weekend, we were at the beach, and the third and final day the water was particularly calm yer frigid. After I declared myself spent in the water (it literally took my breath away it was so cold), you said, "that's fine mom, I can float by myself". And you took your boogie board and did just that. I sat in my chair about a hundred yards from the waters edge and watched, half proud, half petrified. Not soon after, you were joined by a girl who introduced herself the day before (9 years old!) and spend the morning riding waves with her. When I finally came to get you out of the water there was another little boy who you'd made friends with too chatting you up the whole way up the beach. We got home that night and Daddy asked how the beach was (he'd been home with the dogs), and your sister in a sing-songy voice started talking about your girrrrlllfriend. I've never see you so embarrassed. It seems that was a little tidbit you wanted to keep to yourself. I can't believe you are already at an age that you don't want to tell us everything!
Well buddy, you're starting a new phase in your life, and at times it may not be as easy as school has been. I'm not concerned at all about you academically, I know you'll do great if you just keep working hard and not rush through everything- you're very smart, but you have to pay attention to what you're doing. The friendships you've had for so many years may change, and the way you interact with each other in a real school environment will be different. It's the big time now, and you're back to being one of the little guys. Just be confident in yourself and don't take to heart what anyone says. I know I know easier said than done.
I'm so proud of you, I'm a little anxious for you, I'm sad that you're growing up, I'm eager for you to learn, and most of all I'm excited for your new adventure!
I love you so much Gobbles!
Love,
Mom
P.S. Well we survived our first day yesterday, and I have to admit, although you've been in school for 6 years now, I spent more time wondering what you were up to yesterday than I did the whole time you were at daycare. I don't know why, because you did incredibly. You had your boys with you and you branched out and introduced yourself. You inserted yourself into a conversation to defend someone, and you loved music class and recess. I can't wait to go to back to school night and find out what everything is all about. Thanks for being a good kid, buddy!
No comments:
Post a Comment