Friday, June 1, 2012

where to start?

Who's ready to EAT?
The month of May has been absolutely insane in our household... I can't even begin to gather my thoughts on writing a post on just one topic, so let's summarize.

1) The new job?  LOVE it.  The people are awesome, the hours are even better, and I am finally using my brain again (and my engineers' license!).  There is a lot of team collaboration and everyone respects the opinions of everybody else.  It's a small company that seems to have a work hard play hard mentality + family comes first, always.  The other day I had to run out to grab the Lil Lobster Roll from daycare because they didn't like the way a rash looked (turned out to be just eczema), but if it had been something I could have worked from home the rest of the day or brought her in!  After I returned and our meeting was over, the boss took myself and a consultant out for lunch complete with a round of lagers.  It's old school here with whiskey in the kitchen cabinet and professionalism on the front door.  I even went to a networking event last week (first time at one of these all alone without the crutch of a coworker) and schmoozed my way into making a few contacts with new potential clients.  Driving home from the event I had this surprising bout of confidence I've never felt before.
My auntie got me this shirt because my mommy is a nerdy engineer!

2) The house?  Under Contract.  After 333 days on the market we accepted an offer.  A 10% loss from what we bought it for but we're not going to dwell on that.  Inspections have gone well and all we need now is an appraisal.  And a place to live.  By July 17th.  House hunting all weekend!

3) The family?  Lots of fun!

The kids both had milestone checkups and they're stacking up to be my little chunkers.  Lil Lobster Roll weighed in at 14 lbs at her 4 month and 24 3/4" tall.  Her big boy brother Gobbles (if you can remember was 17 lbs by 4 months!) has shot up to 36" tall and 34 lbs at 2.5 years (well, we did the visit a little early, really like 29 months).  They got to see their cousin princess gal for a short period this weekend and we all enjoyed watching them!  Though I must say, the highlight of our trip to the in-laws' was watching Gobbles listen to his Pop (who has recovered nicely from his heart procedure) play with the local philharmonic in a memorial day celebration at a church.  Gobbles loved pointing out his trumpet and when the show was over I will never forget the image of my son running / skipping up the aisle with a huge grin on his face and happily jumping into his grandfather's arms for one of the sweetest hugs you could imagine!
just snoozin with my cuz and our sophies!
Ah!  I found the tv; cuz found the camera, and gobbles found mommy's phone.  And the blanket that matches his pants!  All three of us are thrilled that nana got us memorial day presents.  After all, that's what the holiday is for.. right??

The Lil Lobster Roll is babbling nonstop and has rolled once completely but is flopping from side to side all the time.  She started cereal and eats it like a champ and sleeps 8 hours a night (most of the time).  The swing has been replaced by the jumparoo but the toys don't matter because this girl LOVES the television.  If you are holding her and turn away from the tv, she'll whip around to get a better view.  She's just like her father, who'd look through you if there's something that interests him on there.  Most parents wouldn't be happy that an infant is so enthralled in the tube, but I am thrilled because I hope this means she can actually see the tv as opposed to her brother at this age, who had no interest in it (since we later found out he couldn't see it).  We won't be able to test this theory for another few months, but I'm remaining optimistic in the meantime.
Mo - om!  You're blockin the TV!
seriously?  you want me to JUMP??
Ohhh! This high chair is nice!
Just Gimme that spoon!
YUMMERS!

And Gobbles.  My dear sweet Gobbles.  He is such a two year old.  I can tell his little mind is working overtime just to oppose me.  Hey Gobbles see the sky?  It's blue.  response?  No mommy, actually it's like blue, but it's really purple.  And he's started on the WHY game.  With his sweetest little mocking voice.  Oh Mommy, the Lobster Roll is sad? Whhyyyyy? - Because she's hungry - She's hungry?  Whhhyyy? - Because she hasn't eaten yet - She didn't eat?  Whyyyyy?  - because Mommy didn't have time.  Mommy didn't have time?  Why? - because mommy's too busy answering all your questions!  Though I may sound like I'm complaining, it really is the most fun in the world, especially now that the bedtime battles I spoke of a few weeks ago have subsided.  Next up for Gobbles?  Potty training.  All of the sudden this week he's finally keeping it routine, doing all of his peeing on the toilet.  Pooping?  Nope, he'll still hide in a corner, but we're working on it.  And at school we've encouraged him to tell the teachers when he needs to go but he still hasn't.   We'll get there... there's no rush since the pediatrician told us after we move he's likely to take a few steps back anyway.  In the meantime I've changed our standing amazon order from diapers to pull ups! 
So Momma, you point to something on the ground?  I'll point to the sky!

Enough about the diaper - I'm an artist at work here!
Here Lobstah - this is how you make bubbles!
4) The friends? So much to say (and SO many pictures) about friends and their kids that I think I need some separate posts!  There are so many events going on with the girls that I've gotten to see everyone a lot over the past two months.  Showers, weddings, and kids' birthday parties have all been a blast.  I love watching the kids interact, each exhibiting parts of their parents' personalities and still displaying their own unique qualities.  Hubs had off last Friday and we hung out with our college buddies.  The hosts of the get-together have a daughter Gobbles' age and a son a few months older than the Lobster Roll.  The others have a daughter just a few weeks older than ours.  We spent all day sipping brews (just sipping, as all three mommas are nursing!) and watching the kids enjoy the outdoors.  Gobbles was having so much fun that we stayed through lunch and dinner.  He even had his first (and probably last until college) bath with someone else - his little gal pal. 

5) The future?  It seems as though we have the entire summer mapped out already, minications and events almost every weekend now thru labor day, with maybe two weekends free to move and unpack.  We've two beach trips, camping, a wedding, parties, and hopefully some bbqs.  Life will get pretty hectic considering when we go camping (and the aforementioned college friends) I'll have to leave hubs there with the kids halfway through the trip to come home and go to a bachelorette party.  But I know we're going to have so much fun.  It will be a great summer.
Everybody get your roll on!

We even voluntarily take pictures together now... sometimes :) 
ps - the shirt the lobster is wearing was the first baby item i ever purchased.  A penguin saying, "everybody needs a widdle wuv".  It's from my visit to the Monterey bay aquarium the week after I found out I was pregnant with Gobbles.  I cried when I put it on his sister, not sure why, prob because I'm an emotional mess!  Check out Gobbles wearing it here.

3 comments:

  1. I get a little emotional when BIG Roy wears Maksi's clothes.

    And I'm glad to hear we're Amazon sisters! I have ALL of my dry goods set up. Life is too short to carry heavy and/or awkward shit into your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that picture of Goobles in the Green shirt too just made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are both just adorable. You have no idea how much their pictures are helping me get through this pregnancy.

    So thrilled that you love your new job. You go, Momma!

    ReplyDelete