Friday, February 3, 2012

Little Sister

Lightning crashes, a new mother cries
This moment she's been waiting for
The angel opens her eyes
Pale blue colored eyes...
-Live

Dear Lil Lobster Roll,

You have arrived!  My pretty little girl, I still can't believe you are here!  And with your own thunderous entrance, already trying to outdo your big brother.  While we waited and waited for his arrival, you showed up 8 days earlier than expected, early Sunday morning, the 22nd of January.  You certainly made things convenient for us, with Mr. Gobbles already at your grandparents house so Mommy and Daddy could have one last night out. 

We enjoyed a fabulous dinner with your Godmother and Uncle and got home less than 2 hours before my water broke.  We got to the hospital just after midnight while the world was sleeping, so excited with anticipation to meet you.  Your daddy settled in the chair next to me while I settled in the bed and took each contraction with excitement that you were getting closer.  After 6 hours of labor you decided to throw a little curveball.  I had mentioned to the doctor that you were transverse a couple weeks before, but was told you turned.  This doctor was not from my regular practice because they shared weekend coverage with another team, so he decided to take a quick peak.  Indeed, you had turned, but not in the direction we wanted.  You were completely breach and we were told to prep for surgery, as you were coming via c-section.

Your daddy and I barely had time to digest the news before I got an epidural and was being wheeled away.  Within minutes of Daddy sitting down next to me in the OR dressed in his scrubs, we heard a high pitched screaming - it was you!  My little girl, you were such a peanut.  7 lbs 8 oz, almost 2 pounds less than your brother when he was born, I could not believe it!  The doctors took awhile sewing me back up so your Daddy was the first one to hold you after they cleaned you up. 

He held you by my head the whole time and we marvelled at your perfect features.  Your beautiful blue / hazel eyes, which may or may not darken like your brothers' did.  Your full head of dark hair - almost as thick as your Mommy's when she was a baby ;).  You have your Daddy's nose and upper lip, but my pouty lower lip.  Big hands and long toes, the latter from your father and the former from God knows where, but in common with your big brother.  All in all, you really look more like your brother than anyone - save for the extra rolls he had, you guys look exactly alike.  I'm so proud to have two beautiful children.

Here's a side by side comparison, no doubt you're brother and sister:
Gobbles - 2 days old
Lil lobster roll -8 days old
My lil lobster - you're not even two weeks old and we are already seeing sparks of your personality.  You have spunk, girl, demanding to be fed at less than an hour old while Mommy was still in recovery, and latching like a champ.   You let it be known to the world when you are hungry with your high pitched cry and frantic search for somewhere to get milk.  But then, after you are satiated, you are the most mellow child I've seen.  Relaxing and chilling in your seat or someone's arms, not even bothered when you blow up a diaper! 

Now that the dust has settled, we've had a few days to ourselves, and Mommy is starting to feel better, I look at you and am just amazed and elated that I have such a wonderful little girl.  I know in the future we'll go through phases where you'll be embarrassed of me, challenge me, and disagree with everything I say, but none of that will stop you from being my daughter, and I'll love you always.  You already own your Daddy's heart and your big brother has begun wringing his hands when you cry, trying to get you to stop.  Sure, he told us to put you on the floor a few times, but deep down he loves you very much too.  You have brought so much joy and happiness to our family already my little peanut, we are beyond thankful that you have entered our lives.

I love you baby girl!

Love,
Momma
Teeny Tiny Feet!!

I can finally dress my baby in babylegs!

The going home outfit was a little too big - we anticipated you to be another 9 pounder!

Love my babies!

Curious and inquisitive

I'm sure we'll have many family pictures with this squabbling

Will the blue eyes stay this time?

Just add a little space between and the kids are happy :)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats!

    I can hear it...put her on the floor. Kids are awesome.

    ReplyDelete