Tuesday, October 11, 2011

stop and see the airplanes

It's only Tuesday morning but this week is shaping up to be one of the most stressful at work in a long time.  A lot is up in the air and I'm in no mood to deal with the politics that has become my job.  I was hired to manage a project, not a department.  I want to be a drone, not climb the corporate ladder and deal with all the bs that goes with it.

My head is filled with constant worries about selling our house, getting Gobbles adjusted for the Lil Lobster roll, and getting the seemingly mundane to-do list done (get a haircut -about 5 months overdue, get the puppies their shots - 1 month over due, etc etc).

Gobbles slept horribly last night, plagued with some kind of cough that left him almost wheezing and me kneeling by his bed every hour.

But this morning, during his hearty breakfast, he was the same kid as always, smiling, laughing, cracking jokes, and requesting songs from tone deaf mommy.  Yesterday it was Party in the U.S.A, today was Rockin' Robin.

During our typical 15-minute late rush out the door, while I was lugging lunches and work bags, he excitedly ran towards the car and stopped.  I loaded our stuff in the car and turned to see my boy staring at the sky, pointing and waving excitedly.  Look Mommy!  Airplane!  There it is!  I scooped him up so he could get a better look.  Clear as day, not lost behind the clouds as it usually is, was one of the magnificent silver machines making its way to the airport.  Despite the rush, we stopped and watched the airplane until it disappeared behind the trees.  All done airplane!  Bye Bye Airplane!

My son taught me a valuable lesson this morning.  Take the time to appreciate the little things - getting to see an airplane made his morning - and stop worrying about everything else.  As long as I have my family to enjoy the small moments with, the other ones will not break me. 

1 comment: