Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Anatomy of a Tantrum

There are two kinds of tantrums.  At least in this little boys world.  At least, just two so far. 

First, there is the "out of nowhere, I don't even know what I'm screaming about, then it's gone" fit:

Step 1:  Life is calm, things are going well, and everybody is happy and playing:
Just readin mah book. lalala.  Upside down?  Didn't even notice!

Step 2:  The tides turn.  The toddler hears the word "no" and the world begins to crumble:

whaddya mean no?  what if i peak out all cute from behind my vest?

well if that doesn't work, forget this vest!!
Step 3:  The floodgates open, complete with kicking and screaming...

take me seriously dammit!!

call the wahhhhhmbulance!
 Step 4:  Peace is restored and all is right with the world (please note this step may come about a lot quicker with some redirection and/or bribery):

Ohhh look at this rattle!  What was I crying about again??

Second, much worse than the first one "I know what you want me to do but I'm just going to be defiant.  I'm going to be so stubborn that I will wear you to pieces until I get my way" freak out. 

I do not have a full pictorial for this one, as we were more focused on actually trying to respond properly.  Tonight at dinner, Gobbles decided he wanted no part of what we served him.  After waiting out a screaming fit and peas being thrown off the high chair in every direction, we calmed him down, knowing he was still hungry.  My boy loves yogurt, so we decided it would be a half decent dinner.  I fed him the first two spoonfuls and he wolfed them down.  Then, deciding he should practice with his spoon, with which he is very capable, I put some yogurt on it and handed the spoon to him.

That's when the chaos began.  He threw the spoon back and started crying.  I fed him another bite, all smiles.  Then again tried to pass the spoon and he smacked my hand away.  Let's do it together, I said, and held his hand in mine with the spoon.  Nope.  Only if mommy is holding the spoon completely.  Since he already won and got the food he wanted, I wasn't going to give in so easily, but boy is he stubborn.  Gobbles got so worked up in flinging that spoon back that we decided to take him out of the high chair to calm down. Out of my lap he jumped so he could sprawl on the floor.

I hate you peas.  I hate you spoons (not to be confused with my puppy Spoons).  WHY is  my life so hard?
 After we got him back into the chair, he refused the yogurt all together.  Defeated, and knowing there was only a half hour left to feed and bathe and bed the rambunctious child, we gave in.  So after 45 minutes of battle, Gobbles had veggie puffs and a nutrigrain bar for dinner, exactly what he wanted.  

Wow this parenting thing is hard...


Oh good.  Another happy picture.  We were starting to think "wow, mother of the year - taking pictures while your child is tormented and bawling on the floor".  lovely.  

1 comment:

  1. I hope that someday you will find these posts as amusing as they are to the rest of us.

    He's gonna be so smart! Go Gobbles!

    ReplyDelete