Nope. He didn't run for president, although it looks that way, he graduated from Pre-K. My little big man is off to Kindergarten in a month. I was more tearful than he was at this milestone, likely because he is lucky enough to be hitting K with his two best friends in the world and his girlfriend. One more year together for this bunch since their parents need full time kindergarten and transitioning twice will be just too much for their poor mothers.
At this milestone, Gobbles stands roughly 46" tall, weighs around 50 lbs, and is 5 1/2 years old. His favorite color is yellow (followed closely by red and blue, his bffs' faves), favorite foods are mac and cheese, pizza, hot dogs, grilled cheese, pez, m&ms, and teddy grahams. He eats adult-size portions of everything and we're already clipping grocery coupons for when he's a teenager. He still wants to be an engineer when he grows up and wants to go to college close enough that he can still live with Mommy (awww). He prefers T-Ball to soccer but has taken an interest in golf and tennis. It doesn't even occur to him that swimming is a sport / exercise because he has so much fun I cannot drag him away from the water.
He is all about Star Wars, Star Wars Rebels, Lego Star Wars, just about anything Star Wars, and just completed watching all 6 installments of the movie. He knows the background and relationships of the characters better than I do. Occasionally he gives the galactic empire stuff a rest and relapses into super-hero-dom where Ironman rules followed by Batman and Captain America. The tried and true Disney favorites that remain on high rotation are Big Hero 6, Wall-E, and the Incredibles.
Gobbles is looking forward to Kindergarten except for the fact that he'll now have to wake up 5 mornings a week, since on my home Fridays now he still sleeps in. He's started reading simple books to us at bedtime until he gets a little lazy- Mommy can you just finish it? and I do because I've been told not to push him, and he's exhausted by then anyway. When he's playing restaurant with his sister he's always interested in writing down the order or making us a shopping list, half spelling the words himself and half asking us for clarification. Addition and subtraction seem to come naturally to him and we're working on grasping times tables and division (he's always on point when it comes to dividing up food of course!). My boy has a love for science and hypothesizing as well, correctly guessing outcomes most of the time and learning to be open to other peoples predictions as well.
Although we won't technically be a part of the elementary school yet, I still feel like a milestone has passed in the blink of an eye. My firstborn is now a school-aged kid with homework and extracurriculars and bus transportation. I will no longer get a daily report each day telling me what happened, we'll have to pry it out of him at dinner hoping we get better answers than fine, yes, no. I know everything will work out as normal, but man time flies. I mean, has it really been over 5 YEARS since I started tracking this kid? Thank God I did, even if my posts are becoming more scarce.
Because, wow, he's such a little adult now:
Class...
Best buds!
They've been friends for longer than I was in high school...
I think they've already promised prom dates to each other...
I can't believe how old they're getting! 😭
ReplyDelete