Friday, February 22, 2013

Rub a Dub Dub

A few months ago, when the Lobster Roll outgrew the baby tub, we decided to just bathe the kids together in order to save a few gallons of water as well as those precious 90 short minutes between arriving home and bedtime.

It's become more evident with the Lobster's increasing agility that this will be a new adventure into untraveled waters (horrible pun intended).  Gobbles has always been pretty calm, even timid in the tub.  He hates getting his hair washed for fear of water or soap getting in his eyes and doesn't really move around all that much because he can't see very well and he's perfectly content with his toys.  So, when the Lobster was big enough to be without the tub we didn't think we'd be getting an exhausting workout like we do. 

My daughter will. not. sit. still. It's habit now that changing a diaper you will have to get up and bring her back at least twice, and with changing an outfit the chase occurs a half-dozen times.  We rarely use the changing table because she fits and flares and flings herself in all directions.  At least she has nowhere to fall if she's already on the ground.  Now take that wiggly little girl, soap her up, and stick her in 5 inches of water, because it's bathtime. 

The minute we get upstairs and close the gate leaving the Lobster free to roam the 2nd floor she cruises, crawls, and steps her way into the bathroom, so excited to play in the water.  She heads right over to the tub and excitedly points at the faucet, willing us to turn it on.  As soon as the water's running, she begins a little dance on the side of the tub, almost trying to leap her way into the water (hilarious but a bit anxiety-inducing too).  If we try to bring her out of the room to play while we get other stuff together, she makes her way back into the bathroom to cheer for the water filling the tub.  Usually we end up undressing her in the hallway and taking the diaper off right before we lift her into the tub, because she has peed on her daddy more than once in the excited anticipation of the bath.

When the kids finally get into the tub, it's a balancing act between Gobbles hunting for toys while trying to avoid being waterboarded with the bucket being dumped over his head to wet his hair and the Lobster climbing over everything and again cheering for the fact that she's now in the tub.  She practices stepping around Gobbles and holding onto the back wall, faucet, an tub side.  When I try to wash her hair, she's always leaning over the side so no water stays in the tub.  There was even a point where she's picked up an entire bucket full of water and dumper it over the side.  We're now onto her actions and can quickly grab anything that seems to spill over the side of the tub.

Our only problem - when she spills a little something into the tub.  Yup, twice now our lovely little lady dropped a little dooty right into the tub.  The first time both hubs and I were both there so hubs was able to "catch" it in a bucket and get it into the toilet.  The second time I wasn't so lucky, bathing both kids by myself and actually taking pictures for this blog.  The lobster leaned on the side of the tub and made her "i'm gonna go" face.  Before I could react, Gobbles screamed Ewww! She poopyed in the tub!! Ahhh Mommy it scares me!  I scooped Gobbles out of the tub, wrapped him in a towel, and sent him out of the room.  Next, I did the same with the Lobster Roll but held her in one hand, grabbed a wipe with the other, reached into the tub and grabbed the floating offender and tossed it in the toilet. 

Who knew something as routine as bathtime could be so dramatic and exciting?  Never a dull moment with these two,  keeping me on my toes always.
yay!!! it's my favorite time of day!
C'mon momma! Into the tub let's go let's go!!
Hey Gobbles - are you bathing yourself?  Can I borrow that?

Ok, time to splash!

Whoops, may have spilled some!
-Here, lemme just clean that up. 
-Lobster, stay IN the tub like mommy says!

Ok I'll stay - lemme have this bucket@
Ok, enough of the bucket - lemme wash Gobbles' hair!
 
What does this knob do? 

Annddd.... Yes I do have a picture of the Lobster's worst offense...  I texted it to hubs and he laughed.  He owes me.  I'm sure she's going to do it again because she's crazy.  I'll spare you the graphic because well I'm sure a description was good enough.

Happy Bathing...

1 comment:

  1. these pics are great, poor Gobbles shes gonna take him to task :)

    ReplyDelete