I don't even know where to begin son. You are two years old today. TWO. All day when I was writing the date on documents, I kept writing 12/9/09 instead of 12/9/11. It's a date that changed my life forever - every second of the past two years have been a blessing. I barely even remember the time before you came into our lives or the person I was before I became a mother. But at the same time it seems like just yesterday when your Daddy and I were in the hospital, waiting with bated breath, not knowing what was ahead of us.
A few months ago when we were at the same hospital for your sister's ultrasound, the scent of the soap in the bathroom flooded my mind with memories and took me right back there. Your Daddy went home for sleep a few hours after you were born and I was getting some much needed shut-eye myself. The nurses brought you in for me to feed you, and when you were done we sat there together, just the two of us, for hours. I told you all about the life waiting for you at home and marvelled at your teeny fingers and little dark eyes. I never imagined you as a two year old, my favorite little sidekick.
This morning we threw off your routine by having me wake you up - I was so excited to say Happy Birthday to you that I couldn't wait. You climbed out of your bed and crawled into my lap where I was kneeling on the floor, and you buried your head in my shoulder. I held you tight and rubbed your back telling you how much I love you, not unlike the day you were born. You looked up at me and I kissed your cheek, which is less and less like a chubby lil baby cheek every day. And of course, like every crazy mother, I began to cry. Your Daddy walked in and said "yup, next thing you know he'll be driving". It's true, time is going so fast and with every milestone you make, I decide that this is the age I love the best.
The twos can't be that terrible, right? I mean, sure, you threw your greatest tantrum ever this morning right after the emotional scene I describe above. You just weren't in a Daddy mood and would rather me help you get dressed, instead I left to get a shower to get ready for work. It was probably my own fault for throwing off your routine anyway. As I hurried through my shower I could hear you wailing, I'm sure you were kicking and waving at your Daddy too - with your most emphatic NO NO NO!
As soon as I got dressed and gave you a reassuring hug, you flipped a switch and started chatting about your upcoming breakfast. You were still shaking from the intensity of the tantrum, and I realized I was looking into a mirror. Daddy has never gotten upset like that, me, on the other hand, I get that way a lot when I'm upset. Trying to catch your breath and still snorting snot long after you feel better. Sorry Gobbles, you got that from me.
As we made our way down the stairs I grabbed a cup off the banister to bring down to wash. You threw another fit, telling me that the cup belonged on the banister. True, we leave it there when you go to bed for quick access when you cry for water (we can't leave your water cup in your room just because you're then up and down up and down for hours sipping, dumping, and splashing instead of making your way to dreamstreet). And when we got downstairs, you ran into the kitchen to tell me exactly where to put your high chair. I do not know why you are so. particular. But I think I'll blame that OCD on your dad, because c'mon, I'm pretty laid back, right? **Note to those of you who have known me for years. Ok, fine, I used to be a giant control freak, so really it could come from me... but that is a part of my former self that I feel has been refined since motherhood - I'm more prone to rolling with the punches now... I think you have to be once you have kids**
Anyway Gobbles, back to you and the magnificent twenty-four months we've had with you. I hope your birthday party goes well tomorrow, and that you and your friends enjoyed your school celebration and mini cupcakes today. Your teacher told me all about how excited you were for your birthday to bring in treats, and I wish I could have been there to watch you celebrate. You have a whole other world at school, and when you tell me about all you do I am so proud. The other day when you told me about Laila giving you a hug, I asked if she was your girlfriend. Sure Mom. Yup, in the last week or so all of the sudden you're too cool for Yes Mommy, now it's just Sure Mom, Sure.
Like I told you this morning Gobbles, I love you so much, more than you will ever know, at least until maybe you have kids of your own someday. You mean the world to your Daddy and I, and we are so so proud of the caring, friendly, happy, super-smart little guy that you have become. You may only have a few weeks left of being our only child, but you will ALWAYS be my little boy, my baby. I love you.
Love, Momma.
ps. We were so excited and happy for our birthday today (Mommy- I TWO. TWO!) That you couldn't sit still for a picture. So all of my phone pics are blurry, but they capture the mood just right :)
| No pictures, please Mom! |
| Let's twist and JUMP instead! |
| Ok, ok CHEESE! |
| Now lets go clean the kitchen floor! We have a showing today! |
| Not only am I particular about where things go, I'm also the best helper ever! |
| Alright Mommy, All done! Let's go to school for Happy Birthday Gobbles! |
Your Daddy walked in and said "yup, next thing you know he'll be driving".
ReplyDeleteThose husbands always have a way with words, no?
Congrats, ma!