Sunday, July 11, 2010

the 4th, the friends, the food, and the frenzy.

Did someone say foot?

Oh wait, I have a blog to keep up with too?  This poor thing has been neglected, it's just been a crazy week, and it was only 4 days!  Since I've written last, I've cleaned the house from top to bottom, been to some barbecues, taught the kid how to swim (eh that's stretchin it), started a new job, and gained 2 lbs.  We've gotten into a nice new routine of wake up, let the dogs out, feed dogs, work out, shower, wake up kid, change kid, feed kid, dry hair, get dressed, fill bottles, make cereal, pack baby food, let dogs out again, change kid again, drop at daycare, then go work.  And that's the easy part.  The hard part is running out of work and speeding the whole way back to daycare in time to make it before we have to start paying the late fee of something like 10 bucks a minute.  But, being only week 1, we have a few kinks to work out, and I'm sure as I get more comfortable at work I won't be so worried about leaving on time and I'll just go when I need to.  After all, I took this job for less stress, right?

And somewhere in the midst of all this, Mr. Gobbles has started crawling.  Backwards.  Yup, I have a mooncrawler baby, he only crawls backwards for right now, but he can get around the room.  Last night I sat him on the basement floor (carpeted) while I carried up a few bottles of wine for dinner, and I came down a minute later and he was across the room, pulling the controller out of the playstation.  Yikes.  They really do get into everything.  Time to babyproof!

We don't need to babyproof - we've got a sitter.

Backing up to recap last weekend, it was choc full of friends & family.  We typically throw a huge bbq/party every labor day weekend, but since this year we have wedding #2 of 4 in an 8 week stretch then, we decided to do it earlier this season.  And it worked out well - the weather was beautiful, it was less humid than normal, and Mr. Gobbles got to show off his guns in a festive sleeveless shirt. 

Welcome to the gun show -

I can rip grass up with my bare hands.  ARGH!

We relaxed, ate good food, chatted with good friends, and roasted giant marshmallows in the fire pit.  Toward the end of the evening, with the party still going on outside, I tried putting the little man down to sleep.  While I was doing this, my friend was in the next room feeding her son, Gobbles' lil buddy.  A few of the girls came up to say goodbye to us and we came out of the rooms holding our respective babies.  I think it was Kite who said that we were just like old college roommates again.  We looked at each other and laughed, because for a moment it did feel like that.  I've commented on this before, but when I look back at the last 10-15 years of my life, I cannot be more thankful for the friends that I have (my family of friends) and the experiences that we share. 

The next day, while we cleaned up the backyard, we took Gobbles out to play in his pool.  He's been swimming in the ocean and a lake, so he was a pro by now, just maxin and relaxin.  Later that night, we crashed a friends' family bbq, since it took place at her sister's house just a few houses away.  Another round of summer ales and giant s'mores, some more fireside hanging out, and a nice tired baby.


I loooove swimmin!

and i love to relax by the pool

Round three of the patriotic celebration came the next day when we attended our town's parade, conveniently ending about a half mile from our house.  I didn't realize that some people go all out to watch this, lining up tents and chairs all along the main drag.  The displays were definitely worth sitting in the hot sun - large floats with water hoses, small floats with miley cyrus wannabees, decorated strollers and children's bikes.  Maybe Gobbles will enter next year?  Everyone who marched by through candy of some sort at the spectating kids.   I truly felt the 4th of july spirit after sampling the free hot dogs, pretzels, water ice for everyone.  Sheesh. If my weight watchers people knew how much I ate last weekend, they'd probably applaud me for only gaining two lbs!

Can I eat this?

The weekend ground to a halt later that afternoon, and I was brought back down to the reality of my new job starting the next day.  I laid out my clothes and packed my purse with the first day of school type of feeling.  We raced through the aforementioned routine, for the time being deciding it was most feasible for me to do drop of and pick up at daycare because of the location.  Though this could change depending if my work hours start to get weird.  Work is work, the actual tasks of the day are not much different than I've been doing for years now, but for some reason I was instantly comfortable.  The people on this team are actual people, not the soulless drones I've worked with for the past three years.  Ok that sounds a little harsh, but honestly after one week with this group I know more about a lot of the people than I ever learned about the guy who I technically shared an office with throughout my tenure at my last company.  Granted, I haven't seen him in over a year because of our conflicting travel schedules, but still. 

Besides the relief in knowing I've done the right thing taking this job, my mind has also started to ease about the new daycare.  The activities that Gobbles is doing and the information being shared with me about what happens throughout the day has made me a lot more comfortable.  Friday I came home with a picture of my little boy painting.  Well, the teacher was walking him through some paint and onto a canvas, he's not exactly using a brush or anything.  Yet.

First, we'll concentrate on crawling forwards, then we'll worry about the rest.

When that thing starts moving on it's own, he will not find me!

3 comments:

  1. That whole weekend sounds awesome! I spent mine getting tired of a quick jaunt around Lowes so it was pretty much a 3 day weekend full of naps. Can't complain I guess.

    And seriously? The captions? I'm dying. I really picture him talking. Pulling the grass out..hahaha love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god. He was so funny ripping out the grass!

    I'm so glad the new job is going well, and so glad the blog is going to continue!

    I looove swimmin'!!!- cutest picture I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, he's cute.

    I'm going back in less than two weeks... meh.

    ReplyDelete